The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
There are some conflicting opinions as to whether you wait for contact to happen to rule OBS or if the presence of a defender blocking the path causes a player to slowdown or reroute as obstruction.
If the runner slows down or reroute, then you do have obstruction. That is being hindered. However, absent a slowdown or reroute, the defenders positioning is not in and of itself obstruction.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
There are some conflicting opinions as to whether you wait for contact to happen to rule OBS or if the presence of a defender blocking the path causes a player to slowdown or reroute as obstruction.
If you think contact is needed, you are wrong. "slowdown or reroute " is being hindered or impeded.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say there needed to be contact. I said theres conflicting opinions on whether the presence of the defender is enough of there has to be contact.

You see more of the former because umpires aren't watching the runners enough to know what they had to do in order to reach the next base.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say there needed to be contact. I said theres conflicting opinions on whether the presence of the defender is enough of there has to be contact.

You see more of the former because umpires aren't watching the runners enough to know what they had to do in order to reach the next base.
By conflicting opinions, I just want to make sure that you mean: there are those who are right and there are those who conflict with them. (The first group would be those who say the runner has to be impeded, and the latter group consists of those who say the defender being there is enough or that contact is required). I'm not sure what the point of saying that there are conflicting opinions is. The rule is clear.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No conflicting opinions here. An umpire who waits for contact isn't doing his/her job.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

1) Fielder just being anywhere is not OBS.
2) Contact is not required.
3) Hindering or impeding is needed.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:

Sorry I was too abrupt.
I should have said "Those who think contact is needed (not you) are incorrect.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
Inattentive F3 hinder B1 round the base going to 2nd. No play is mad as she goes into second base.

Do you call OBS every time you see it?

I tend to do so and then explain if asked.
I don't know what the issue is here. OBS is OBS. Call it when you see it. If they ask, tell them why. If it's repetitive, they'll get the message eventually.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
The reason I started this, that I have gotten a lot os static over the years as I am constantly calling OBS when I see it.

A lot of my partners question why when the runner does not try for more bases.

I have tried to explain the ASA training where OBS was taught and explained as to how to apply it when Jerry Fick gave the class in Cincinnati a couple of years ago.

I have noticed that if the runner is not trying, most of my partners will not call it.

I have called it a lot when they would not as I saw it as OBS and they didn't.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
The reason I started this, that I have gotten a lot os static over the years as I am constantly calling OBS when I see it.

A lot of my partners question why when the runner does not try for more bases.

I have tried to explain the ASA training where OBS was taught and explained as to how to apply it when Jerry Fick gave the class in Cincinnati a couple of years ago.

I have noticed that if the runner is not trying, most of my partners will not call it.

I have called it a lot when they would not as I saw it as OBS and they didn't.
As you can see, you are doing the right thing by calling a violation when seen. Those giving you the static should be avoided like the plague as there is no benefit to you having to defend yourself to them.

BTW, this is not a territorial call. If you witness OBS (and I am referring to obvious OBS), you can make that call.