The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Batter tries getting hit by pitch?

So this year at the NCAA meetings, they emphasized the rule that a batter (1) cannot try to get hit by a pitch; and (2) is not automatically awarded 1B if hit by a pitch that is not wholly in the batter's box.

Today, I kept a batter at the plate because she stuck her elbow into the pitch. I thought I sold it well, but still had a dispute with both coaches. The OHC wanted to know why it wasn't a base award, and the defense wanted a strike.

What is the best verbiage to use in this situation? I came up with a strong DEAD BALL!, and pointed at the plate several times saying "NO! NO! NO! Staying here! Stay here! That pitch was not in the batters box!"

Tips?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

That's pretty much what I do. Something like, "Dead ball! Stay right there!", or words to that effect, while pointing at the batter's box.

I don't think it matters how well you sell it. If the coach wants to argue, he's still going to argue. It should be a pretty brief argument (except maybe for you college guys that have to take a lot more grief from coaches).

"My batter should get first base"....Sorry, the ball wasn't completely inside the batter's box and in my judgment the batter intentionally stuck her arm into the pitch...end of story.

"That should be a strike"...No, the ball was not in the strike zone when it contacted the batter....'but, but, but"....Coach, are you arguing balls and strikes!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bret here...this is one of those situations that it really doesn't matter what verbiage you use, one, or in your case, both coaches aren't going to like the call. Especially with some of the coaches we have to deal with around here......

I know you know this, but even if the ball was completely in the batter's box, the batter still can't stick their elbow out to get hit by the pitch. Since the violation was the batter moving into the pitch, maybe it would have been better to emphasize that action in your sell as opposed to the location of the pitch outside of the batter's box. That may have eliminated the defensive coach asking for the strike.

I sent you a text taking a not so wild guess at which coach wanted the strike....let me know if I was right....
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
So this year at the NCAA meetings, they emphasized the rule that a batter (1) cannot try to get hit by a pitch; and (2) is not automatically awarded 1B if hit by a pitch that is not wholly in the batter's box.

Today, I kept a batter at the plate because she stuck her elbow into the pitch. I thought I sold it well, but still had a dispute with both coaches. The OHC wanted to know why it wasn't a base award, and the defense wanted a strike.

What is the best verbiage to use in this situation? I came up with a strong DEAD BALL!, and pointed at the plate several times saying "NO! NO! NO! Staying here! Stay here! That pitch was not in the batters box!"

Tips?
Coaches have advocated allowing/getting/creating HBP as a legitimate means to get on base; it stands to reason that they will ALWAYS want to dispute this call. Don't take it personally, or even as a comment on your call; it's them doing their job as they see it. Pushing the boundaries, trying to create doubt in your mind; but mostly, showing their players they are fighting for them.

To the OC: "In my judgment, the ball wasn't in the batter's box." Nothing else needs to be said.

To the DC: Anatomy lesson!! "An extended elbow will always be above the bottom of the sternum."
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post

Tips?
IMO, not being in the BB shouldn't be as much an announced cause as the intent of the batter. Since you state you saw the batter lean into the pitch, that alone is cause to not award the base regardless of the location of the ball.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
ditto to:
- the batter intentionally stuck her arm into the pitch
- better to emphasize that action in your sell as opposed to the location of the pitch outside of the batter's box
- Don't take it personally, or even as a comment on your call;
- you saw the batter lean into the pitch, that alone is cause to not award the base regardless of the location of the ball.

But even though covered, I had to say so.