The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It was late 90's/early 2000's and it was being championed by a certain member of the National Umpire Staff at that time. To the best of my recollection, the other members of the NUS weren't too keen on it and is slowly faded away.

I'm not surprised it is optional for NAFA as I believe that same former NUS member with ASA is now involved with NAFA.
I should also come as no surprise that it is still an accepted alternative in all girls fastpitch sanctioning organizations in that former NUS member's home state!
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It was late 90's/early 2000's and it was being championed by a certain member of the National Umpire Staff at that time. To the best of my recollection, the other members of the NUS weren't too keen on it and is slowly faded away.

I'm not surprised it is optional for NAFA as I believe that same former NUS member with ASA is now involved with NAFA.
That said, he (BP) was an exceptional clinician, he just didn't toe the line in the "one size fits all when we teach 50,000 umpires" philosophy. I can say without hesitation I learned a great deal from him, among others (some more generally accepted, some less). BP wasn't ashamed to talk about advanced mechanics for advanced umpires, when that was considered an unacceptable heresy.

And, as I recall, he had both hip and knee issues, and was dedicated to adopting mechanics with less physical demands. We endorse the EA suggestion that all mechanics are trade-offs, yet some mechanics aren't accepted when they benefit certain groups.

Again, I don't like this one, because I don't agree with that what is lost is less important to the game. But I do support making adjustments that are advantageous, even if not "the manual" or the "DVD".
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Was that the MP position intended to see the pitcher's arm better, to catch sidearm deliveries?
That's what we were told...
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
That said, he (BP) was an exceptional clinician, he just didn't toe the line in the "one size fits all when we teach 50,000 umpires" philosophy. I can say without hesitation I learned a great deal from him, among others (some more generally accepted, some less). BP wasn't ashamed to talk about advanced mechanics for advanced umpires, when that was considered an unacceptable heresy.
BP often stated that the ASA shouldn't have an Advance Umpire School, but a School for Advanced Umpiring. While that is ideal, HP has also been correct in that there needs to be a standard for all umpires, from top to bottom. And IMO that is a logical stance.

We have all witnessed how umpires, like players, will take a stance on certain mechanics and use them regardless of the ability of the crew which s/he is a member. Once heard an umpire tell his novice partner for an JO game that he would be using his NCAA mechanics for the game because he believed moving back to ASA mechanics would throw off those used for college ball. Boys and girls, that just does not always work out well.

Quote:
And, as I recall, he had both hip and knee issues, and was dedicated to adopting mechanics with less physical demands. We endorse the EA suggestion that all mechanics are trade-offs, yet some mechanics aren't accepted when they benefit certain groups.
Seems to me the mechanics should be adopted to the game, not the umpires' ease in performance. That was a major point of the highly debated issue when ASA announced the move o the BU off the line in the SP game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
That's what we were told...
Did you buy that claim? Seems to me to have such an advantage, the BU would have to be right up the middle on the pitching arm's side.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

My NCAA association tried it for a couple of years. It was dispensed of and we went back to working at A unless there is a base runner.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
BP often stated that the ASA shouldn't have an Advance Umpire School, but a School for Advanced Umpiring. While that is ideal, HP has also been correct in that there needs to be a standard for all umpires, from top to bottom. And IMO that is a logical stance.

We have all witnessed how umpires, like players, will take a stance on certain mechanics and use them regardless of the ability of the crew which s/he is a member. Once heard an umpire tell his novice partner for an JO game that he would be using his NCAA mechanics for the game because he believed moving back to ASA mechanics would throw off those used for college ball. Boys and girls, that just does not always work out well.

Seems to me the mechanics should be adopted to the game, not the umpires' ease in performance. That was a major point of the highly debated issue when ASA announced the move o the BU off the line in the SP game.

Did you buy that claim? Seems to me to have such an advantage, the BU would have to be right up the middle on the pitching arm's side.
100% of our men's ball is MP of various stripes - it really did not work out, so when they changed back,we breathed a sigh of relief.

Now as far as teaching of different mechanics is concerned, coming from The Land of the Rimming as I do, I can't comment without prejudice. Especially since our little HS school group has in it : three past or present clinicians at the NYS State school, one of whom is the author of our state manual, and another who is the NYS UIC. They all help conduct our new officials clinic, which I sometimes assist at. So I get that hammered into me ALL the time.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Seems to me to have such an advantage, the BU would have to be right up the middle on the pitching arm's side.
Pretty much, either side of 2nd depending on lefty or righty.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 01:51am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
What's NAFA? Only NAFA I know of is north American Fur Auctions
North American Fast-pitch Assosiation