The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Working the Rim

My state high school association has decided to move from traditional NFHS base mechanics to working the rim. Can any of you provide me with a basic description of this mechanic? Is it used for all runner configurations? Do I completely disregard the inside/outside theory? Does anyone have a decent PowerPoint presentation or video they can e-mail to me?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Nobody on (A position):
Fly ball to left or center, BU comes into fair territory, outside the baseline, ahead of BR. Watches BR touch 1B, runs along with BR on the way to 2B, and if obvious BR will be continuing to 3B, cuts behind BR as BR approaches 2B; BU starts to move across infield, watching BR touch 2B and preparing in case BR decides to stop short & return to 2B.
If BR continues on, let her take you in to 3B; you're seeing BR, and the throw, and you are stopped and set to see the play at a 90° angle to the throw.

Fly ball to right field (if you're not going out for fair-foul or a trouble ball):
No problem with cutting into the inside of the baseline and button-hooking. This way the whole play is in front of you (BR touching all bases, ball position)

Last edited by jmkupka; Wed Jan 27, 2016 at 09:13am.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty much, yes, except for the line drive to right with no one on and possible play at first mentioned above, you mostly disregard the inside-outside theory.

The rule of thumb is to default to staying out, unless coming in generates a clear advantage (like covering batter-runner to third). With most situations, inside and in a calling position and depth too often puts you in a possible throwing lane; to every 90 to a base you see, the opposite and equal 90/270 exists without being in a throwing lane or cutting across defensive players moving to cutoff positions.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Let me also add:

Politically correct, and PC-sensitive trained individuals, like the NCAA, do NOT use the term in your thread subject, as it has other possible meanings considered inappropriate for general conversation when partially overheard and/or taken out of context.

Just as softball does not have a "rubber" as a rule book term, and a pitcher's plate instead, this mechanic and technique is called "working the outside". Just sayin'........
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Pretty much, yes, except for the line drive to right with no one on and possible play at first mentioned above, you mostly disregard the inside-outside theory.

The rule of thumb is to default to staying out, unless coming in generates a clear advantage (like covering batter-runner to third). With most situations, inside and in a calling position and depth too often puts you in a possible throwing lane; to every 90 to a base you see, the opposite and equal 90/270 exists without being in a throwing lane or cutting across defensive players moving to cutoff positions.
Just piggybacking on Steve's note: while you default to staying outside, it doesn't mean to NEVER come inside. When NCAA first allowed working outside, some umpires heard "stay outside." This created problems, some which haven't been resolved (but that's a total different thread for another time).

What you need to do work inside or outside depending on what is the best for each play; meaning to read each play as it happens. If you (plural) start to default to "If this/then that" then you (plural) are not going to be effective umpires.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Just piggybacking on Steve's note: while you default to staying outside, it doesn't mean to NEVER come inside. When NCAA first allowed working outside, some umpires heard "stay outside." This created problems, some which haven't been resolved (but that's a total different thread for another time).
Oh, man! You take all the fun out of things
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Oh, man! You take all the fun out of things
It's what I do. You've never been to one of my clinics - fun is no where to be found.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
It's what I do. You've never been to one of my clinics - fun is no where to be found.
You must be the yin to Luau's yang
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You must be the yin to Luau's yang
Well, when he and I stand side by side, there is contrast.