Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Obstruction

2016 and 2017 NCAA Softball Rules Book Corrections
Updated 11/17/15
Page No. Rule Reference Correction

91 A.R. 9.4.3.5 A base runner who leaves second base too soon on a touched fly ball is advancing toward third base when she is obstructed.
RULING: The base runner is not protected between the two bases where she was obstructed even if she is attempting to return to tag.

Am I reading this correctly? a shortstop can intentionally get in the way of a runner (or trip or tackle) returning to a base and delay the runner enough to be called out?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Updated 11/17/15

91 A.R. 9.4.3.5 A base runner who leaves second base too soon on a touched fly ball is advancing toward third base when she is obstructed.
RULING: The base runner is not protected between the two bases where she was obstructed even if she is attempting to return to tag.

Am I reading this correctly? a shortstop can intentionally get in the way of a runner (or trip or tackle) returning to a base and delay the runner enough to be called out?
Seems to be what it says.

The case says "advancing toward third base ", but the ruling says "even if she is attempting to return".
That looks like they are saying the OBS does not take precedence over the early leave if it occurs while the runner is advancing. Then, returning after the OBS does not change the effect.
Maybe?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Updated 11/17/15

In context, all this does is remove the protection of obstruction from a proper appeal on a base left too soon. The NCAA occasionally does some dumb things, but I doubt there would be an allowance for intentional obstruction for the sake of a cheap out.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 06:42pm
Administrator

Junior (MTD, Jr.), says that this is a sh** storm waiting to happen!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 07:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Updated 11/17/15

(Page 91) A.R. 9.4.3.5 A base runner who leaves second base too soon on a touched fly ball is advancing toward third base when she is obstructed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Junior (MTD, Jr.), says that this is a sh** storm waiting to happen!

MTD, Sr.

This is the AR as originally printed in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 NCAA Softball Rules Book: A.R. 9.4.3.5: A base runner who leaves second base too soon on a touched fly ball is advancing toward third base when she is obstructed. RULING: The base runner is protected between the two bases where she was obstructed even if she is attempting to return to tag.

The amended (as of Nov. 17, 2015) RULING cannot be supported by rule. It is not illegal for a Runner to leave a Base before a Fly Ball is touched by a Fielder. The Rules require a Runner to re-tag the Base if she is not in contact with the Base when a Fly Ball is caught.

In fact, the Runner has not done anything illegal until the Defense appeals the Runner leaving early and the Runner had not re-tagged.

To quote Bugs Bunny, the only way to describe the people on the Rules Committee that passed this rule is: "What a bunch of maroons!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Jan 23, 2016 at 12:37pm. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

To quote Bugs Bunny, the only way to describe the people on the Rules Committee that passed this rule is: "What a bunch of maroons!"

MTD, Sr.
I tend to lean toward Animal House:

"animal house" morons - Bing video
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

For those so appalled by the NCAA rule, take a second look at your ASA rules book.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
For those so appalled by the NCAA rule, take a second look at your ASA rules book.
And...?? What do you think you have discovered --- I see nothing surprising there.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Probably in reference to if a runner is obstructed while attempting to return to a base left to soon and would have been out regardless of the obstruction the out stands.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
And...?? What do you think you have discovered --- I see nothing surprising there.
I didn't discover anything. It's clear as day and been there for a while.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Yes, ASA has an exception like the NCAA in removing the protection between the 2 bases where the runner was obstructed and that includes a proper appeal on a base left too soon or missed.

However, that doesn't mean the OBS is ignored or that the base runner has forfeited any right to proceed (in any direction) to a base unimpeded. This exception simply relieves the "between 2 bases" exemption to the OBS rule and allows the umpire to rule the obstructed runner out if, in the umpire's judgement, that runner would not have returned safely to the base left too soon had the OBS not occurred.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, ASA has an exception like the NCAA in removing the protection between the 2 bases where the runner was obstructed and that includes a proper appeal on a base left too soon or missed.

However, that doesn't mean the OBS is ignored or that the base runner has forfeited any right to proceed (in any direction) to a base unimpeded. This exception simply relieves the "between 2 bases" exemption to the OBS rule and allows the umpire to rule the obstructed runner out if, in the umpire's judgement, that runner would not have returned safely to the base left too soon had the OBS not occurred.
I understand the ASA exception and I think I understand A.R. 9.4.3.5. Am I correct in my scenario below?

R1 is on 1B. A fly ball is hit to the outfield, and R1 leaves 1B before the ball is caught. R1 is obstructed by F4 en route to 2B. R1 realizes she has left early and returns towards 1B. The defense completes a live-ball appeal by throwing to F3 before R1 reaches 1B.

NCAA: R1 is out. Full stop.
ASA: If in the judgment of the umpire, R1 would have been out absent the obstruction, R1 is out. Else, R1 may be protected by OBS.

--------
Edit to add: Is R1 still out if F3 commits the obstruction at 1B while about to receive the thrown ball? (NCAA)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I understand the ASA exception and I think I understand A.R. 9.4.3.5. Am I correct in my scenario below?

R1 is on 1B. A fly ball is hit to the outfield, and R1 leaves 1B before the ball is caught. R1 is obstructed by F4 en route to 2B. R1 realizes she has left early and returns towards 1B. The defense completes a live-ball appeal by throwing to F3 before R1 reaches 1B.

NCAA: R1 is out. Full stop.
ASA: If in the judgment of the umpire, R1 would have been out absent the obstruction, R1 is out. Else, R1 may be protected by OBS.

--------
Edit to add: Is R1 still out if F3 commits the obstruction at 1B while about to receive the thrown ball? (NCAA)
I would like to believe the actual NCAA A.R. isn't being drop dead literal and would be similar to ASA's. IMO, there is a huge difference between the result of this play where the OBS happens three steps from the target base as opposed to an OBS fifty-five feet away and I would hope the NCAA would recognize that.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I would like to believe the actual NCAA A.R. isn't being drop dead literal and would be similar to ASA's...
I would assume that as well, but it is the literal wording that is at issue as potentially being the "sh** storm waiting to happen", right?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I would assume that as well, but it is the literal wording that is at issue as potentially being the "sh** storm waiting to happen", right?
Well, the NCAA permitting the use of runners for target practice is what make me think that this could be the shitstorm you mention.