The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 2 pg 34, "Obstruction - The act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. See specific rule sections for action to be taken: catcher (8-2-e); fielder (8-2-e, f and g, 8-3-e, f and g); visual obstruction (8-3-f). When a runner is obstructed, the umpire shall point and call “That’s obstruction.” The umpire shall let the play continue until all play has ceased, call time and award any bases that are justified. If a runner(s)advances beyond what the umpire would have granted and is put out, therunner(s) is out.

A.R.—Obstruction shall be called on a defensive player who blocks off a base, base line or home plate from a base runner while not in possession of the ball regardless of the result of the play."

This year in American Legion Ball in Ct, they are utilizing OBR, NHFS-FPSL and malicious contact and NCAA Obstruction (See Above) and Collision rule.

WHY? Because last year there was not enough arguments on the field and this will improve this statistic. (Only kidding).

I have not done NCAA in the last 2 seasons and therefore even though the rule in my mind is quite clear, the application of it for given situations is not. I know this is NOT going to be uniformily enforced because I am SURE the lesser experienced officials won't see it, let alone call it, but thats a discussion of a different color.

Any input would be helpful, specifically on the leeway (if any), given to a player that may be blocking the baseline, bag or plate. How tight is this being called? What criteria is being used to apply this uniformily?

Thanks.

Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I look for advantage/disadvantage in these situations. If the contact does not affect the play, then I pass on it unless it is so obvious to everyone watching the game.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I look for advantage/disadvantage in these situations. If the contact does not affect the play, then I pass on it unless it is so obvious to everyone watching the game.
John, I don't have a problem with the contact part,I am more concerned about the fine line between blocking the base/line with the ball and not blocking it. The rule says you can't be there UNTILL, you have possession. Is that the way it is being enforced?

Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

If the player blocks the base and hinders the runner wihtout the ball (F3 dropping a knee, for example), call the obstruction. If the throw takes the fielder into the path (F2 moves up the line, for example), it's just a collision (assuming F2 is just going for the ball).

Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
If the player blocks the base and hinders the runner wihtout the ball (F3 dropping a knee, for example), call the obstruction. If the throw takes the fielder into the path (F2 moves up the line, for example), it's just a collision (assuming F2 is just going for the ball).

OK,

Last night there was a play at the plate. Not a FPSL. Catcher is on the line, in front of the plate. Runner, ball arrive at the same time. The runner did not slide , which didn't help matters, but there was no overly physical contact.

I called the catcher for obstruction, for being there prior to receiving the ball, what say you?
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

OK,

Last night there was a play at the plate. Not a FPSL. Catcher is on the line, in front of the plate. Runner, ball arrive at the same time. The runner did not slide , which didn't help matters, but there was no overly physical contact.

I called the catcher for obstruction, for being there prior to receiving the ball, what say you?
IF the runner was "hindered" and if the "hindrance" happened before F2 caught the ball, you are correct. That's not how I envision the play.