The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I worked last night (Men's SP) for the first time in another town that has a sportsplex with many different fields, with lots of concurrent games. Up until now, I have only worked ASA. They (the complex) use what they told me is their own set of rules, a hybrid of what the complex deems to be the "best" rules from different softball governing bodies.

The pitching arc rule was between 6' and 10', and umps are not to call, nor signal illegal pitches, neither during, nor after the pitch. It's simply a ball. It was a D league, so it had a 1 HR limit. Batters started with a 1-1 count, which made the games go much faster. Plus, I got paid ca$h on the field before the game, which was great, since I'm used to waiting 2 weeks for a mailed check.

Where does this 6' to 10' pitching arc rule come from? It was strange after working all year with a 12' limit, but there were only a couple of pitches that were too high. I found this allowed me to focus more on strike zone location, since the arc in this game was less of an issue than in ASA. The pitches were consistent, in terms of arc trajectory. It made it easier to umpire, but it still seemed weird.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Unhappy

6-10 foot arc is USSSA as well as the batters starting with a 1-1 count. Blah!!! Red shirt ball---Blah!!!!!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I thought USSSA was 3 feet from the release to 10 feet from the ground. Measuring from the release point leads many USSSA pitchers to release very close to the ground. Maybe they've changed it.

This year, a large tournament used USSSA umpires but told them to use ASA arc. However, they were not to call flat or high until after the pitch.

As for the 1-1 count, most ASA SP leagues and tournaments around here use it. Of course, the mat isn't ASA either, but many leagues have gone to that, too.

As for cash up front, some ASA leagues do that, too. In one league, the commissioner hands me an envelope as soon as I arrive at the field for my 3 games.

Girls' fast pitch tourneys are often cash on the spot after the game, so if you do 5 games in one day, you report after each one for your $40.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA

Greymule is correct, arc is 3 feet from release (which ends up being about 6 feet from ground usually) to 10 feet from ground.

As for count, what the rule book says -- and they way I call it -- is that batters start with 0-0 count. 3 balls is a walk and 2 strikes is a strikeout, with the batter getting a courtesy foul after already having 1 strike. Most players believe that you start with 1-1 in U-trip, and it gets tiresome explaining to players that this is not correct.

It definitely speeds up the game playing 3-2 or playing ASA's 4-3 starting with 1-1 count (with courtesy foul), as batters don't automatically take a strike and pitchers don't waste pitches.

[Edited by Tap on Sep 11th, 2003 at 03:01 PM]
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

This complex did not allow for courtesy foul on the last strike. For the arc, I was just told that it was 6' to 10' overall. Release point was never brought up.

It's amazing how many variations there are for the sport across the country & globe. Is there any other sport that has more widespread variation in its rules?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: USSSA

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap

It definitely speeds up the game playing 3-2 or playing ASA's 4-3 starting with 1-1 count (with courtesy foul), as batters don't automatically take a strike and pitchers don't waste pitches.

[Edited by Tap on Sep 11th, 2003 at 03:01 PM]
I believe the 6-10 arc is NSA.

I agree a 3-2 ball-strike count speeds up the game a little bit, but the courtesy foul defeats the purpose. After all in SP when you work a 4-3 count, usually one of the two strikes is a foul ball anyhow. Then you often have to wait for a player to retrieve the ball from foul territory.

Nope, I want a 3-2 like U-trip but no courtesy. That is what they play now in my area and it works pretty good.

Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

no courtesy foul

Mike, I agree with you. While the courtsey foul does not entirely defeat the purpose -- since being one called strike away from a K is some incentive to swing, and most of the time the ball stays fair so the courtesy foul does not come into play -- it defeats the purpose to some extent when the courtsey foul is needed.

I played in a 3-2 no courtesy foul league and had no problem as a hitter. IMO, anyone can keep the ball fair in SP. The key is standing far from the plate to avoid getting jammed and pulling it foul.

I agree that ASA should either go to 3-2 or 4-3 starting with 1-1 and have no courtesy foul.