The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

MLS Refs Out

I must admit that I don't follow MLS so I was unaware that the refs are out and the league using scab replacements. A new meaning to the term "striker"? Shades of MLB and 1979 and 1999.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:07pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I must admit that I don't follow MLS so I was unaware that the refs are out and the league using scab replacements. A new meaning to the term "striker"? Shades of MLB and 1979 and 1999.
Technically this situation is a lockout, not a strike. Given that this soccer forum is practically dead, you can find tons of information and discussion about the lockout at the BigSoccer referee forum.

You can check out this thread on the details of the lockout, and this thread on the MLS assignments.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for pointing out the other sites. I used to do USSF/club, HS, NISOA, but dropped out decades ago. Maybe I should have stayed in!

Also interesting to see the same kinds of personalities, value judgments and diverse philosophies in the soccer threads as in the basketball forum (and elsewhere, too).

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Mar 17, 2014 at 02:26pm.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 11:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Thanks for pointing out the other sites. I used to do USSF/club, HS, NISOA, but dropped out decades ago. Maybe I should have stayed in!

Also interesting to see the same kinds of personalities, value judgments and diverse philosophies in the soccer threads as in the basketball forum (and elsewhere, too).
Very cool. I have a year of high school experience and just got my grade 8 USSF badge. Perhaps will try for NISOA in a few years. Do you have any advice for a new USSF ref?
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Very cool. I have a year of high school experience and just got my grade 8 USSF badge. Perhaps will try for NISOA in a few years. Do you have any advice for a new USSF ref?
Nah, not really. The general stuff: know the rules (and differences between FIFA, NISOA and NFHS) and apply them with a dose of common sense; game management; work hard. You'll be doing one-man games, probably, and you won't see everything, but you'll have some credibility in the bank if coaches see you hustling. Good luck.

Edit: especially with little kids, where you may start, there will be a lot of bodies bouncing around. Consider intent, advantage, and the general flow of the game.

Last edited by LRZ; Tue Mar 18, 2014 at 07:36am.