The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Goal Kick Procedure

When the ball has been placed on the ground (in a legal position) in preparation for a goal kick, is it permissible for a player pick up the ball and reposition it to another spot prior to taking the kick?

(Remember, I'm a soccer rookie).

As far as I can tell, all of the restrictions on the goal kick occur after the ball is in play...which occurs when the ball leaves the penalty area.

It seems it should be legal.

However, I've had someone insist that it is not legal once the ball is positioned....claiming it fell under time wasting. Is that true?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

No you shouldn't let them reposition the ball as it is delaying the restart. The first time it happens give them a warning, the next time caution. You could go straight to the caution if you've already warned for other time-wasting.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
No you shouldn't let them reposition the ball as it is delaying the restart. The first time it happens give them a warning, the next time caution. You could go straight to the caution if you've already warned for other time-wasting.
Thx.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
When the ball has been placed on the ground (in a legal position) in preparation for a goal kick, is it permissible for a player pick up the ball and reposition it to another spot prior to taking the kick?

(Remember, I'm a soccer rookie).

As far as I can tell, all of the restrictions on the goal kick occur after the ball is in play...which occurs when the ball leaves the penalty area.

It seems it should be legal.

However, I've had someone insist that it is not legal once the ball is positioned....claiming it fell under time wasting. Is that true?
Cameron,
First of all, welcome to the "outside" ;-)

While Eastshire's point on this matter can be accurate, you have not given any related information that would allow me to answer the question completely.

First question: Can a player reposition the ball when taking a free kick (i.e. Goal Kick, corner kick or other DFK or IFK, etc.) during the run of play?

First answer: Yes, a player can reposition the ball -- soccer is not golf, in this regard.

Second question: WHY is the player repositioning the ball for the kick?
Second Answer A: Because the ball has rolled into a hole or divot on the field.
Ruling: Legal, at any time.

Second Answer B.: Because the wind has changed direction.
Ruling: Legal, with a caveat.

Second Answer C.: Because the player sees teammates who have moved to the other side of the field.
Ruling: Legal, with a caveat.

Second Answer D.: Because the player's team is ahead (or tied against a better team) and the player is trying to shorten the game.
Ruling: Illegal -- warning by mouth alone and then by formal caution and then by second formal caution for subsequent violations. Comments you have heard address this situation.

Caveat: Is the player moving the ball for the purpose of slowing the game down? If yes, then follow responses in Second Answer D.

NET: There is nothing inherently illegal about moving a ball with the hands once a it has been initially placed for a free kick (penalty kicks have a more formal setting to them, but save a PK or KFTM, any free kick). As a referee, you must be cognizant -- especially in NFHS land where you do not have the ability to simply add time on to the end of the game/match -- as to the likely reason for the ball movement and take action accordingly.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

The scenario I'm envisioning here is one where the ball has been placed and the kicker has retreated to take the kick and then runs back up picks the ball up and moves it across the field.

I'm not tolerating that for any reason. The player has plenty of time to decide where to take the goal kick from before retreating. Once made, their choice stays made. Regardless of the reason for the delay, it is delaying the restart.

This is entirely different than a player who realizes the ball is in a divot and tries to better position the ball in the same location, so long as she does so promptly.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't A or B, could have been either C or D (or both). It was near the end of the game with the kicking team being ahead by 2. I was the AR in front of the coach who was down by 2 and he wanted something called. The C didn't call anything. We talked about it after the game and none of us were sure if it was legal or not.

My inclination would, if I were the C, to just add time if it amounted to anything. Stopping the game for a warning would take even more time (in which case, I'd probably add some for that too).

I do that when the team that is ahead near the end of the game has to chase the ball to get it for a kick but doesn't exactly hustle to get it back in play.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasn't A or B, could have been either C or D (or both). It was near the end of the game with the kicking team being ahead by 2. I was the AR in front of the coach who was down by 2 and he wanted something called. The C didn't call anything. We talked about it after the game and none of us were sure if it was legal or not.

My inclination would, if I were the C, to just add time if it amounted to anything. Stopping the game for a warning would take even more time (in which case, I'd probably add some for that too).

I do that when the team that is ahead near the end of the game has to chase the ball to get it for a kick but doesn't exactly hustle to get it back in play.
It makes a big difference how early the time wasting starts to. If it's halfway through the second half, you need to card it so that the other team understands it's being taken care of.

On the other hand, if it's in the last few minutes, a shout to put it in play along with a gesture to your watch can let everyone know they aren't getting away with it.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It also makes a difference if it is a NFHS game -- in which you CAN stop the clock at your discretion -- to have a discussion with the keeper about the delay. In USSF, you CAN'T stop the clock, BUT you CAN add time on at the end.

If doing a tournament with the "no added time" provision, you are better off "verbally or visually" communicating to the player to get the game moving. Even in tournaments in which "no added time" is the rule, the tournaments do NOT want a team taking advantage of that provision. A STERN warning to the coach (accompanied with a threat to send the coach off if the team continues the behavior) has always worked for me.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Agreed with CoachNRef.

Eastshire, what if the team that is taking the kick is down by 4 goals and wants to re-position the ball? Are you going to caution that player for delay? If so, why? He/she is wasting his/her own team's time by doing so, so it's on him/her.