The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hosed call

Yesterday in 7v7 small sided tourn.

Player is breaking to the goal and gets tagged from behind from a defender...I hit my whistle...Player stumbles two steps and still pulls shot off scoring...I have to wipe the goal and give the penalty since I can't say if the goalie didn't get it because of late reaction due to the whistle or not. I needed to wait and grant advantage.

Man I hosed them out of a goal...final score 7-2 (they lost)

I told the coach afterwards I screwed him on that call and he said he thought they only scored because of my whistle.......

Well lets kick off the spring.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Yep, nothing you can do about that.

I must applaud you, though, on taking the blame for the mistake afterwards rather than arguing against it. I see many a referee that would not admit their mistake, and in turn fuels a fire.

You live and you learn!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isualum12
... since I can't say if the goalie didn't get it because of late reaction due to the whistle or not.
That's not a consideration. The ball is dead once you decide it is and then announce that decision by sounding the whistle. Clearly if the whistle sounds prior to the ball entering the goal, then no goal can be scored.

Awarding the goal is NOT an option once the whistle sounds.

Don't even think about doing that.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Quote:
Originally Posted by isualum12
Yesterday in 7v7 small sided tourn.

Player is breaking to the goal and gets tagged from behind from a defender...I hit my whistle...Player stumbles two steps and still pulls shot off scoring...I have to wipe the goal and give the penalty since I can't say if the goalie didn't get it because of late reaction due to the whistle or not. I needed to wait and grant advantage.

Man I hosed them out of a goal...final score 7-2 (they lost)

I told the coach afterwards I screwed him on that call and he said he thought they only scored because of my whistle.......

Well lets kick off the spring.
The good thing about officiating soccer is that the phrase "better late than never" plays a significant role in your job. Remember, you can always go back to the point of the infraction if you feel no advantage was established. It's better to wait to see what happens than to give a quick whistle once an infraction happens. Some instances (serious foul play, violent conduct) require the immediate whistle, but many infractions do not.