The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

best book(s)?

I'm going to get back to reffing (AYSO - u10 to start) after about 20 yrs away. Back then, my favorite book/resource was Fair or Foul (DR the author). Any recs for particularly good books (or ones to avoid)?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Make sure that you get a copy of the USSF's Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game. It is really the how to book of soccer reffing in this country.
A good companion is their Guide to Procedures. It covers all the mechanics and where you should be on the field.

Also, since you have been away from the game for 20 years, you may want to check out Strength Training for Soccer Referees. It discusses stretching and exercises to shape up your muscles and overall physical fitness.

Best of luck.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming that you will be taking the course for your Grade 8 license. Just pay attention when you're there and you'll get what you need. They'll give you a Laws book when you take the course.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Nevada. The "Advice to referees on the laws of the game" is the best source for really understanding the intent of the laws. Start with the USSF Laws of the Game, then study the Advice. Also if you can get some video's of HS, or USSF games (even World Cup) it will certainly help.

I just moved up to HS and USSF this year after 8 years with AYSO, and the advice was super. Then get to as many games as you can and watch -not the game, but the officials.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

After the "Advice", the best soccer referee book I have read is "For the Good of the Game".
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

ref2coach-

thx -- this is the type of book I was looking for -- of course the Laws and the Advice are the starting points . . . when I last reffed, the laws were written much more formally, hand balls had to be "intentional," it was obstruction, keepers had four steps (and could roll the ball and pick it back up), being even was off side, etc.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

try master class by stanley lover
and soccer rules explained by stanley lover
the first covers fine points, the second general info.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Where to purchase?

So far, some great referrals...but where can someone purchase these books? Are these likely to be found at Barnes & Noble, or do they need to be ordered directly from organizations like the USSF?

Bob
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

you will find the ussf publications on www.ussoccer.com. try amazon for any others.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref47
try master class by stanley lover
and soccer rules explained by stanley lover
the first covers fine points, the second general info.

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day and picked up Soccer Rules Explained, as recommended above. I also picked up another of Lover's books, Official Soccer Rules Illustrated: A Quick Reference for All Coaches, Players, and Fans. I started off reading this second book first. I highly recommend it for the new referee (people like me). Along with all of the other publications that have been mentioned above, this one does a great job of communicating the concepts, which can sometimes be a hard thing to do when it comes to rules. I'm looking to get into the first book tonight.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Bob