LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

USA - Italy

Thoughts on the match?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this is the first soccer game that I really sat down and watched. My first impression is what a bunch of whiners. I mean someone would just breath on them hard and they would fall down and flop around on the ground like someone shot them. Donovan's was about the only shot that I thought was legitimate.
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Interesting that you should say that gsf.......

This always seems to be a topic of conversation among those who either dislike, don't know, or don't care about the game, so here is my take on it, as an official.

Yes, soccer players, especially on the international level, do seem to "go down" quite often. However, if you look at the slow mo replays, you'll see that they are barely even touched. As an official, it does look pretty convincing at normal speed. The reason for this "embellishing" is to simply get a call. Given, the only pads that soccer players have are on their shins, they'll make it look like their ankles, calves, thighs, or anywhere else on their bodies got knocked pretty good, all just for a call. The thing about soccer is that set plays make a tremendous impact on the way the game is played. A good set play (free kick) can mean the difference between winning, losing, or tying. That's why fouls are a highly determined statistic in soccer.

On the flipside, you can "embellish" too much and get booked for "diving". It's illegal to "act" as if you were fouled just to draw a foul. A minor booking is a yellow card and a major booking is a red. Two yellows and your out of the game, and in the World Cup two yellows in the round and you sit a game, too.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I finally found time to watch the tape of this match.
Overall, I thought that both teams played a very exciting match. The Italians did seem to make too much out of some of the fouls.
The red card for the player elbowing McBride in the face was fully justified and exactly what FIFA has been asking for over the past year.
Pope's first caution was also correct. He was the last defender and fouled the opponent, but was too far from goal for it to be a red card.
Pablo's red card, which has been much debated, also seems to be in line with what FIFA desires. He lunged at the opponent and spiked him in the ankle and foot. It was simply an unnecessary challenge.
Pope's second caution is the one that made me think. The different replays make it hard to tell how much he hit the attacker in the back of the legs. From one angle it looks as if he whacked him, but from another it seems that he went around his legs and touched the ball then made incidental contact with the legs. A difficult second caution, but putting myself in the position of the referee, I can see how it was given.
The US defenders committed a high number of fouls in the first half. The fouling really didn't stop until the second half when it was 10 v 9 and then it was a tremendous game to watch. Unfortunate that it was not 11 v 11, but certainly 2 of the 3 players deserved to go.
The offside call which nullified the 2nd goal by the US was also the correct decision. McBride was in the line of sight of the goalkeeper and that equates to interfering with an opponent.

My total assessment of the game was the it was called a bit too tightly in the first half and the 2nd half was wonderful. The referee did what FIFA asked with the cards, but seemed to reward the Italians a bit too much when the went down easily in the first 45 minutes. 5/10 for the ref.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Nevadref, I may have asked this before, and if I did, I apologize for asking again as I do not remember, but what is your USSF Referee Grade?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

===========