The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the finish of the Argentina Italy that went down to the wire (Italy won by one). Sean Corbin (NBA ref) was one of the officials. With 2.1 seconds (I think), a foul was called as Argentina was inbouding the ball. I thought the foul occured just before the throw-in. The clock ran down to 1.7 seconds. Argentina inbounded the ball and missed a layup at the buzzer.

What was interesting was that if this had been an NBA or NCAA game, the officials would have certainly checked the monitor to see if the time was accurate after the foul. In this game, nobody questionned the time left, the ball was quickly inbounded and the game was over.

PS. Corbin was the first referee I saw in the tournament to actually talk to the players about rough play before the ball was inbounded. He did this two ot three times in the last minute of play.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I saw the finish of the Argentina Italy that went down to the wire (Italy won by one). Sean Corbin (NBA ref) was one of the officials. With 2.1 seconds (I think), a foul was called as Argentina was inbouding the ball. I thought the foul occured just before the throw-in. The clock ran down to 1.7 seconds. Argentina inbounded the ball and missed a layup at the buzzer.

What was interesting was that if this had been an NBA or NCAA game, the officials would have certainly checked the monitor to see if the time was accurate after the foul. In this game, nobody questionned the time left, the ball was quickly inbounded and the game was over.

PS. Corbin was the first referee I saw in the tournament to actually talk to the players about rough play before the ball was inbounded. He did this two ot three times in the last minute of play.
Which one is Sean Corbin? Does he have a particular noticable feature that identifies him among the other NBA refs?
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

In Fiba games and competition, referees are not allowed to see the monitor or video for any decisions to be made. Any video footage made is used only for training purposes or to determine responsibility in matters of discipline after the game has ended.