The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

After all these years, I finally had to eject my first player. I've cautioned countless times, but that has always worked for me. Tonight boys JV game being played after the V. Early in the second half I called a foul on red midfielder. I point the direction of the foul and from 55 yards away I hear the red keeper yell, "No F*%$ing way!" I make sure I heard him right by checking with the AR. He confirms what I heard. I jog to the penalty area to issue a yellow card. I call him over to me and he begins to walk away. I call him a second time. He reluctantly walks towards me. I issue the yellow. He then proceeds to tell me that I had been bull$@&&ing his team all night and continued to argue, yell, and cuss. Then he told me to give him another card, almost daring me to do so that he didn't care. Hope he's happy. I gave him what he asked for. What's so stupid is that the playoffs start this weekend. I hope he wasn't planning on playing in their game!
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Good Job

Sounds like a send off. Sometimes players (especially in High School) get really full of themselves. You did the right thing by giving him what he asked for. I would have even considered sending him off the first time he yelled because of the profanity.

Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 11:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
After all these years, I finally had to eject my first player. I've cautioned countless times, but that has always worked for me. Tonight boys JV game being played after the V. Early in the second half I called a foul on red midfielder. I point the direction of the foul and from 55 yards away I hear the red keeper yell, "No F*%$ing way!" I make sure I heard him right by checking with the AR. He confirms what I heard. I jog to the penalty area to issue a yellow card. I call him over to me and he begins to walk away. I call him a second time. He reluctantly walks towards me. I issue the yellow. He then proceeds to tell me that I had been bull$@&&ing his team all night and continued to argue, yell, and cuss. Then he told me to give him another card, almost daring me to do so that he didn't care. Hope he's happy. I gave him what he asked for. What's so stupid is that the playoffs start this weekend. I hope he wasn't planning on playing in their game!

I just have one question: A player drops an F-bomb directed directly at you and you give him yellow card?

A F-bomb is always a red card from the start.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Oct 17th, 2005 at 12:20 AM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
I agree with Mark. Any profanity directed at an official is subject to Rule 12, Section 8, Article 3e: A player, coach, or bench personnel shall be disqualified (red card) for using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gesture.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev

I just have one question: A player drops an F-bomb directed directly at you and you give him yellow card?

A F-bomb is always a red card from the start.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Oct 17th, 2005 at 12:20 AM]
Now we understand why this was his first EVER "ejection."

BTW in high school the proper terminology is disqualification, while it is send-off under the LOTG. Ejection is not the precise term for either set. There is a post on the USsoccer website in the Ask a Soccer Referee feature stating such.

Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

In a regular season game or in a V game it would have been Hard Red from the beginning. But it was the last game of the season in a hortened game with a bunch of JV kids who rarely got to play. I chose to give the kid an underserved break and make it yellow. Then I made it a soft/red just so another kid who probably wouldn't have gotten any time would get to get off the bench and play.