View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejstuart
Alright, let's try this one on for size.

Forward A is streaking to the goal with the ball. 20 yards out, Defender B takes a swipe at the ball and clips the ankles of A. Forward A fights through, still with the ball and his stride toward the goal.

You beller "Play On!", replete with an impeccable arm sweep from waist level.

As soon as you do this, Defender C trips Forward A 12 yards from the goal (in the Penalty Box), erasing the advantage you gave as the forward falls in a heap.

Two identical fouls of identical severity, in fair cyberspace where I set this scene...

Where is your restart?

Let's say this is an "Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity". Which player(s) do you punish with your red card?

The first foul does not seem to qualify as denying an OGSO, since we have a second defender between the location of the first foul and the goal. (I take this from you writing that Defender C fouls 12 yards from goal.) I'm assuming that the goalie is behind everyone and still in the goal. If the goalkeeper is defender C or if the keeper is not present, then the first foul would qualify.
If the foul 12 yards from goal is committed by the last defender other than the goalkeeper (so that there is at most one defender remaining between the attacker and the goal), then you clearly award the PK and send off Defender C.
Therefore, we could have a single attacker going in on the last defender with only the keeper behind him, and the defender fouling at 20 yards from goal, but the attacker is able to continue, then the keeper fouling at 12 yards from goal, which ends the play. In this case, by-the-book, both fouls would meet the criteria for OGSO (12.38 Advice), both players would be sent off and a PK would be awarded.
In practice, I would simply ignore the punishment for the foul at 20 yards out.