The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

End of game or is it?

USA Junior Tier III A game last night, the game ended with the score being 3-7 in favor of the visiting team. There were 27 infractions for a total of 95 penalty minutes. On the league website, it shows the game as an unofficial final & the score & stats from the game have not been posted as official.

For a bit of back story, the same 2 teams played Friday Night with the final score being 7-6 Shootout win in favor of the home team & 22 infractions for a total of 52 penalty minutes.

Both team GMs were talking during the 2nd intermission last night about what they had seen in the game so far & it sounded as if one or both would be submitting reports to the league concerning the game & the officiating of the game as to what was & was not being called. Throughout the game the visiting team bench & fans were continually yelling expletives. However when the visiting team players were in the penalty box serving their penalties, they were joking around with the off-ice officials & having casual conversations.

The Referee last night was a linesman the night before, it seemed several times there was some second guessing of calls & there were a couple of times when the on-ice officials got together to conference about calls.

Copy of game sheet from Friday night's game: West Sound Warriors vs. Tri-City Outlaws 1-3-14

The Referee Friday night was a linesman last night, & there were times he was shaking his head about some of the calls being made, but as linesman he just supported the referee in his calls without question.

With last night's game still being lasted as an unofficial final, what is going to happen next?

Last edited by chseagle; Mon Jan 06, 2014 at 03:32pm. Reason: Scoresheet from Saturday's game is now blank & the game listed as never played.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

A minor update to the game in question, the game sheet, box score, & stats have been deleted completely off the league website.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I thought ties were no longer allowed

Went back to the league website, & the game is now listed as a 0-0 tie with each team getting a point & no points scored nor infractions committed.

It was my understanding there could no longer be ties in hockey.

Is this the right idea or should they have to replay the game at a later date with a different on-ice officiating crew?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

based on experiences in other sports -- it's up to the league. Other options would be to accept the "score" or call a double forfeit (no points to either).
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

The final score as played on the ice should stand, the game was legally completed.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
The final score as played on the ice should stand, the game was legally completed.
That is what I was thinking. I was checking the league website throughout yesterday, & it kept showing unofficial with no stats posted for the game except what was shown on the boxscore/game sheet. I went back on earlier today, & now it shows the score 0-0 & each team got a point in standings.

I remember hearing both GMs talking during the 2nd intermission about what they were seeing in the game about how the referee was/was not calling the game. I do also remember hearing them talking about submitting grievance reports to the league.

In the league, it seems to be a rarity to do a 2-whistle (2 referee) game. I have only seen one all season. Perhaps that is something that should be recommended the next time the 2 teams play against one another?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Now the game is listed for stats purposes, however there is no game number listed. So apparently the final will still be the 0-0 tie.