The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Communication between on-ice & off-ice officials

What are some ways on-ice officials communicate with the off-ice officials when questions do arise about calls?

What are the best ways for the off-ice officials to communicate with the on-ice officials when questions arise?
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What are some ways on-ice officials communicate with the off-ice officials when questions do arise about calls?

What are the best ways for the off-ice officials to communicate with the on-ice officials when questions arise?

In minor hockey, since they're all usually at ice level, you just talk to them face to face.

As an off-ice official, you have to remember that the referee is in charge of all of the game officials...including off Ice. If you have a question, ask it respectfully, but ultimately, the referee has the final say in all matters.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefWEB View Post
In minor hockey, since they're all usually at ice level, you just talk to them face to face.

As an off-ice official, you have to remember that the referee is in charge of all of the game officials...including off Ice. If you have a question, ask it respectfully, but ultimately, the referee has the final say in all matters.
Same as it is in basketball, the table crew are extensions of the officiating crew.

In the USA Hockey Rules/Junior Hockey Rules, it states to never sound the horn except to sound the end of a period/intermission. So I was trying to figure out a way for communications to occur between the Referee(s) & the off-ice officials.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Same as it is in basketball, the table crew are extensions of the officiating crew.

In the USA Hockey Rules/Junior Hockey Rules, it states to never sound the horn except to sound the end of a period/intermission. So I was trying to figure out a way for communications to occur between the Referee(s) & the off-ice officials.

One technique is to keep the referee at the bench until you understand what he's asking.

Have you seen this manual? It also offers some tips for getting the officials' attention...http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d..._Manual_1_.pdf.

I assume you have probably already read it...you seem like you take your job very seriously, and I applaud you for that. A great set of off-officials is one less thing a referee has to worry about.

Last edited by RefWEB; Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 10:30am.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefWEB View Post
One technique is to keep the referee at the bench until you understand what he's asking.

Have you seen this manual? It also offers some tips for getting the officials' attention...http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d..._Manual_1_.pdf.

I assume you have probably already read it...you seem like you take your job very seriously, and I applaud you for that. A great set of off-officials is one less thing a referee has to worry about.
For clarification, the officials' signals in the book linked above are for Senior/adult level games. I assist with a Junior Tier 3 Team, & the signal for Checking from Behind used is the same as pushing in basketball...palms out pushing out from the chest.

This is the first time I had seen an off-ice officials manual. All the information I had previously is from the USA Hockey Rulebook & USA Hockey Junior Rule book.