The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hey everyone. I'm actually a basketball ref, but I'm here to ask a hockey question. I'm a big Penguins fan (Go Mario!), but I hear alot of stuff about how he's great a drawing penalties and such. Today's (4/19) hot debate is his 'phantom' holding-the-stick call that he didn't get called for. What I'm asking you (the professionals!) is this: What exactly constitutes holding the stick? On top of that, how do you determine who's guilty when it appears that (possibly) both players are holding each other's stick. Thanks for the help here.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

holding the stick

Been officiating little guys through college.(over 15 yrs) There are times as you state, that you cant tell who is really holding whos stick. For me thats a simple call, NO CALL.
When a player holds another player stick to gain an advantage for theirself or team, then thats holding the stick. I have seen this both defensively and offensively. A Player has control of puck and is going in on goal. The player gets around the defensemen and grabs the defensemens stick, thereby gaining an advantage over the defensemen. The same holds true for defensive players that try to prevent offensive players from getting to the puck or back into play.
As I originally stated sometimes it is just not clear who is holding who, let alone there stick.

As far as who is really guilty. It just like basketball. The player that you called the foul on is guilty. ??????????