The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 11:36am
Administrator

What is wrong with this picture?

I just saw an interesting list on Time.com; it was a list of the highest paid government employees in each state. By the numbers this is how the list broke down:

Football Coach: 26 (Ohio included)

Basketball Coach: 12 (Kansas and surprisingly Michigan; probably Izzo)

Basketball/Football Coaches: 1 (Minnesota)

Ice Hockey Coach: 1 (New Hampshire)

Other: 10 (either college president or medical college dean)

The highest paid government employee in 80% of our states are athletic coaches. In 52% of the states it is headed by a football coach; 24% of the states it is a basketball coach.

Just saying.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Considering how high profile most athletic coaches and programs are, it makes perfect since. Is it morally correct? Probably not, but it makes since to me. You would think some government employee, but if that was the case we would be talking about corruption and other things that might influence that money being spent on that person, that would mostly been seen as illegal. And those individuals also generate millions for their universities. You also said Izzo, but I would not be surprised if it was the football coaches in that state. Michigan football program alone in a couple of games alone would out draw more fans to most basketball games in any college program. That is why we have all this conference moving around is taking place. Football is king and generates the most money in games and TV revenue.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 12:06pm.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not A Dime ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:25pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ice Hockey Coach: 1 (New Hampshire)
As a blue-bleeding Black Bear (UMaine), I find this very amusing.

UNH is our rival. Since our hockey program holds two NCAA national championships ('93 & '99, the latter being an OT victory over UNH) to UNH's zero, some of my fellow statesmen refer to UNH as "The University of No Hardware." (This actually isn't correct, since since silver and broze trophies are given to runners up and semifinalists, respectfully.)

Regarding the topic, I have no problem with this list. If you bring in money, you deserve a cut of the action.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 02:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Kinda Calhounish.....and not political

I remember many yrs ago when someone was comparing the $ that athletes make vs that of the President of the US, someone replied, "Yeah, but no one pays to see the President work."
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 02:52am
AremRed

Sure Calhoun brought in a lot of money to UCONN but did the taxpayers get any of that money back? Did UCONN take $12 million less taxpayer money because the basketball program covered that? Yeah, didn't think so.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 03:11pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Sure Calhoun brought in a lot of money to UCONN but did the taxpayers get any of that money back? Did UCONN take $12 million less taxpayer money because the basketball program covered that? Yeah, didn't think so.
I think his point was that the basketball program generated a lot more than what he was being paid and that extra revenue was turned back to the school...meaning the taxpayers weren't really paying his salary even though he was technically a state employee. In answer to your question...yes. UConn was probably taking less from the state (at least for the athletics dept.) due to the revenue generated by the mens basketball team.

Regarding MTD's original post...yeah, all those coaches are paid a lot more than other state employees...but from my observation, they are the hardest working state employees there are, regardless of what state we're talking about. Have you been to a DMV lately?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 03:16pm.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 02:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Regarding MTD's original post...yeah, all those coaches are paid a lot more than other state employees...but from my observation, they are the hardest working state employees there are, regardless of what state we're talking about. Have you been to a DMV lately?
They can also be fired from their job a lot easier than most state employees, despite the fact that they are doing what is being asked of them.

It takes a ton of paperwork to fire a guvvie. You have to start with some sort of performance improvement plan that gives the employee notice that there are certain expectations and standards he/she needs to achieve (even though he/she was informed of those expectations and standards when he/she was hired). He/she must also be afforded the opportunity to pursue training to help him/her improve job performance.

Then, the supervisor has to provide periodic counseling to address achievements and shortcomings. For the latter, the supervisor must record incidents where the employee fails to meet the expectations and standards. All of this documentation must be provided to the organizations Human Resources office with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. Even then, it doesn't guarantee a job dismissal. Often, the employee is moved to another office/branch/division, sometimes as a promotion.

Coaches can go virtually undefeated during the regular season, but lose a game or two against a bitter rival or during the post-season, and after a couple of years they are summarily executed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 03:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
They can also be fired from their job a lot easier than most state employees, despite the fact that they are doing what is being asked of them.

It takes a ton of paperwork to fire a guvvie. You have to start with some sort of performance improvement plan that gives the employee notice that there are certain expectations and standards he/she needs to achieve (even though he/she was informed of those expectations and standards when he/she was hired). He/she must also be afforded the opportunity to pursue training to help him/her improve job performance.

Then, the supervisor has to provide periodic counseling to address achievements and shortcomings. For the latter, the supervisor must record incidents where the employee fails to meet the expectations and standards. All of this documentation must be provided to the organizations Human Resources office with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. Even then, it doesn't guarantee a job dismissal. Often, the employee is moved to another office/branch/division, sometimes as a promotion.

Coaches can go virtually undefeated during the regular season, but lose a game or two against a bitter rival or during the post-season, and after a couple of years they are summarily executed.
Most people don't continue to get paid for years after they are fired, though.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

It also must be noted that boosters pay for a lot of these salaries. So a place like UConn is not generating money from tax payers, they are generating a lot of money from people who want access to the program and that is more than ticket sales. And that does not include all the merchandising and events that generate money for the schools. I understand the initial outrage, but it is usually based off of ignorance of what those people make and what involves in their salary.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 07:14pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You also said Izzo, but I would not be surprised if it was the football coaches in that state. Peace
Well, since the survey said the highest paid public employee in Michigan is a basketball coach, I'd be really surprised if it "was (sic) the football coaches (sic) in that state."

Where'd you go to college, Rut? My kids are only a couple of years away from making their choices, and I want to make sure they don't go there.