The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

the big picture

this happened last yr. here is the setup. - i am lead opposite table and my friend is slot table side and of course trail opposite table as well.

the play. - player b1 in front of a1 and both are jockying for rebounding positioning. as the rebound comes off the rim they are still battling though i think b1 is the aggressor and the ball subsequently goes out of bounds off a1. i blow my whistle and signal loose ball foul(pro mech.) though i never identify whom the foul was on or which direction we would be going(but i had the foul on b1, staying in the front court, btw this was a tough play to judge). as i am walking to the table to report i notice everybody(players and partners) are walking to the other end of the court. now i say to myself, "i must have blown the sh1t out of this play." so i report "a1-looseball foul this way." and nobody realized that my original intent was to assess the foul to b1.

after the game my partners(whom are a lot more exp. than i) and i are talking about plays and they never brought up the play i just described, so i bring it up. they said that it was marginal and could have probly passed on it. then i tell them the truth. they actually loved the way i handled the situation and thought that it was best for the game and the credibility of the crew. because i could have reported the foul on b1 and made everybody come back down the court and kill our credibility even more than i have already.

this is when i finally figured out the big picture.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 10:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
this is when i finally figured out the big picture. [/B]
I get it.Blow your whistle.Conduct a poll.Then make your call according to the majority.Great idea.Do you pre-game this procedure now?
Btw,did this happen in an NBA game you were doing?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I know the "bird dog" probably isn't required at that level, but I think the big picture is to indicate who fouled whom when the play could be close.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
To any readers who haven't yet figured out yet that CREW just likes to push buttons:

Remember that CREW is supposed to have a little crawler running under his posts that says, "The opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily approved by the management of this board, nor of most other Federation boards across the U.S. Check with your assignor or commissioner before trying this stunt in your area."
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
To any readers who haven't yet figured out yet that CREW just likes to push buttons:

Remember that CREW is supposed to have a little crawler running under his posts that says, "The opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily approved by the management of this board, nor of most other Federation boards across the U.S. Check with your assignor or commissioner before trying this stunt in your area."
Yeah, crew's what we call a troll. Not to be believed.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Like my Technical Foul Disclaimier: "Note: I work rec ball!"

Good idea, Juulie!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

i am not saying to take a poll. i am saying that what i saw did not actually happen. i admit i kicked the call. but by the way the play was handled no one knew i missed it but me(and the tape of course).
its similar to this play: the lead official blows his whistle for an out of bounds call that is in the far corner from him. he is not 100% sure who knocked the ball out but by the reaction of his partner(whom is now in transition to the other end of the court) he knows which way the ball should go. i have done this before instead of asking for help, sometimes you can tell who hit the ball out of bounds by the reaction of players, and partners. this is something you can opt to do when you have worked with a certain crew quite a few times and are on the same page.

Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 12:26am
Esteemed Participant

OR...you could do your job right the first time and not have to worry about changing calls or using pro mechanics or any of that other stuff!!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
OR...you could do your job right the first time and not have to worry about changing calls or using pro mechanics or any of that other stuff!!
i dont get it. what was wrong about what i did, except kick a play.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:00am
9 times

Tony--

You're my hero. Do you post these hoping to make them better or do youjust like the verbal abuse?

BTW--good job on the call.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Remember Grasshopper,
with more wisdom, also comes more condemnation!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I think he enjoys the verbal abuse. It gets him charged up for his next assignment!!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
i dont get it. what was wrong about what i did, except kick a play.
What was wrong about what you did, is that you tried to justify yourself, and claim that it was okay because you were "seeing the big picture". On this board, it's okay to say, "Oh, my gosh, I may never work again after the screw-up I pulled the other night." But instead, you say, "That is when I finally figured out the big picture." and, "It was the best thing fo1r the game and the credibil2ity of the crew3." It sounds as though you 4are even recommending5 5to others that 6they 7call fouls on the 8wrong person, or even 9call phantom fouls10, if it will "be the best thing for the game" 4 If that 7is not what y8o7u were saying, you should probably word your posting differently.28

(Can any5one tell5, at a glance, w2hen 2m2y 3-year-old woke up!!??)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

My take on what Tony is saying is that many times players will give themselves away, and if we take our time, maybe hold the whistle a little bit, we have a chance to make right on a call that is wrong, before anyone even realizes what happened.
Picture a ball going out of bound with two players chasing it. You do not REALLY see who it went off of, but you are 95% sure so you are ready to point one direction or the other, when one of the players hangs his head and starts walking the other way. Hold the whistle and the player has just helped you make the call. This all take place in probably less than 1 or 2 seconds!
Now I do not know Tony personally. But we have been taught
by the same people. I know that Tony will NOT knowingly call a "phantom" foul, but I think he is aware of foul totals in agame and if a player has 4 fouls and another has none, he will give the foul to the latter if possible.
Fans come to see players play, not foul out.
What is the harm in keeping a good player in the game?
At the D1 and Pro levels, this is called "game awareness"
At the High School level, it's called "unethical"!
Long live the Dark Side!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
At the D1 and Pro levels, this is called "game awareness"
At the High School level, it's called "unethical"!
This is the point, and very well stated. Many, many people who read this board are in their first few years of officiating, and are not D1 or pro refs. Most of our assignors are not going to approve of the kinds of decisions that crew makes.

It is not hard to read between the lines a little and see that crew works at a very high level, and that he must be a very good ref, or he would not have gotten where he is today.

I do not disagree with what he says, as long as he makes it clear that it probably won't work for most of us. I could never get away with the judgements he makes. But it's fine for him. But I can't let him make blanket statements that sound as though they apply to every ref in every situation, when in fact most of us would be badly damaged in our careers to adopt his practices.

When I am in the D1 (as I hope to be some day) I will pay a lot more attention to what crew says. In the meantime, what I hear from my assignors and evaluators and clinicians goes totally opposite to what crew says. I have a feeling that most people on this board are in the same boat I am, with lots of Jr Hi and HS games and not much else. crew should be encouraging the up-coming officials to work to their local standards and not try to impose outside philosophies where they are not welcome.