The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Tax Question / All Sports Officials

Because of the current economy and local community funding issues, a local city is discussing a new regulation on all contractors working within city limits requiring registration with the city and prepaying a 1% business privilege tax. The tax is on all expected revenue for working in the city.
According to our officials organization, this registration will be required of all officials accepting assignments in the city, and the prepaid tax will be based on how many games are scheduled in the city, not how many actually accepted. For example, there are 5 high school football games scheduled, and the tax prepayment will be 1% of all scheduled pay for 5 games even if you only are assigned 1.
In my opionion, this will kill all sports in the city as no one will accept an assignment in the city.

My question is: do any other officials have this type of requirement, and if so, what is the participation rate?

I am a volleyball official, and I currently average 4 -5 assignments in various city schools affected by this proposal, but all sports are involved in this proposal.
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 09:18pm
Official & Member

Not only will it kill sports, it will probably kill all kinds of economic activit within that city. That is probably the worst tax proposal I have ever heard of. Who in the world came up with that idea? Taxing POTENTIAL income and paying it BEFORE the activity? I'd reccomend finding the genius responsible for proposing it and begin a recall campaign.

If I were you, I'd pose your question in the individual sport forums..especially the most active ones. I can tell you the state of Florida has no such tax. We won't even tolerate a state income tax.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Tue May 22, 2012 at 09:24pm.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:15am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Who in the world came up with that idea?
Liberals
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:23am
Archaic Power Monger

Good gracious. Needless to say I wouldn't be accepting any assignments there. I've never encountered something like that here. I believe there was a city in the San Diego area that was requiring business licenses of some such from officials working there but I don't have any details about it.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Well the "City" of Portland (Or) has had for years a 1% tax on all subcontractor income and have interpreted all "sports officials" are included in that group.

Now our tax is collected like any other tax (i.e. after-the fact) and I know of only a few who ever file the tax. But, if you get a 1099 there is a track to be followed.

T