The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I have heard alot that there is a need for officials in Michigan. Does that mean there is a need at the highschool or college level. I also hear the there is alot of competition at the college level to get a college gig. Any truth to that??

Any thoughts or answers???

Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:19pm
M.A.S.H.

There is a need of officials at the high school level.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not from Michigan but I'm sure there is a need for officials there just like pretty much everywhere.

The need for HS is greater than the need for college because the college ranks have a hugh HS pool to recruit from. There is alot of competition, not all but many of the HS refs would love to go to the college level. That's my goal. I worked 2 D3 scrimmages this year and will attend 4 camps this summer that I hope will help me make that jump.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

The phrase "in need of officials" can mean different things to different people. Although there may be an adequate number of registered officials to cover all the needs in a particular sport, there are many that do not work a full schedule. This may be due to date conflicts, lack of interest to work girls vs boys, or perhaps just plain too tired to work more games.

In any event, I know plenty of qualified officials that CANNOT get a full schedule even though they desire one. This is due to the fact that many assignors give multliple games to the same officials all the time. Call it a good 'ole boys network if that helps but the shortgage is overblown IMO.

As a result, games at lower levels that can be used as good training experiences for newer officials many times get the "connected" veteran, hence the notion of politics. Meanwhile, many qualified officials are relegated to CYO, AAU, and Rec ball until they can break in to the right network. It may take a few seasons of this struggle for recognition but in the long run you will get more work if you desire.

Don't expect to get a 20 game varsity schedule unless you are active in your association, pay your dues, attend the assignor's camp, and never turn back assignments no matter how crappy you may think they are...be patient.

In Michigan, the greatest need is for Lacrosse officials as 2005 will be the first year MHSAA has sponsored the sport on a statewide basis and most schools will now field a team. They are offering $75 per game in an effort to entice officials to sign up.

[Edited by Robmoz on Feb 9th, 2005 at 02:21 PM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

LEt me ask you this. I am a Canadian and i live on a border town of Michigan. I was told there is a shortage of officials and if the boys and girls seasons combine the need is even greater.
Being a Canadian i would like to work games in the states. I was told i can by the MHSAA but when i mentioned it to a Customs buddy of mine he tells me that i cannot unless an association petitions for me and proves that there is a definate shortage of officials in the area. I just find that crazy, if there is a need and i am an independent contractor i am not taking a job away from the American. I find it very confusing and disheartening.
As far as the college ranks go i was told by a supervisor that it doesn't matter that you are Canadian as long as you can work i will get you games.

Can any one help??? Please!!!!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
In Michigan, the greatest need is for Lacrosse officials as 2005 will be the first year MHSAA has sponsored the sport on a statewide basis and most schools will now field a team. They are offering $75 per game in an effort to entice officials to sign up.
Really? I also referee lacrosse, but MI is at least 3 hours from me. Darn.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Most officials I took class with are disheartened by the politics of the business. Breaking into the old boys network is tough, and some of my buddies will probably quit rather than spend 10 years trying to get a meaningful game.

I think the shortages are on the lower level. I had class with 20 people, and 15 of us want to do varsity or above.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
I have heard alot that there is a need for officials in Michigan. Does that mean there is a need at the highschool or college level. I also hear the there is alot of competition at the college level to get a college gig. Any truth to that??

Any thoughts or answers???

I don't see it.
I think some of the assigning people do not know what numbers are actually available.
mick
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Most officials I took class with are disheartened by the politics of the business. Breaking into the old boys network is tough, and some of my buddies will probably quit rather than spend 10 years trying to get a meaningful game.

I think the shortages are on the lower level. I had class with 20 people, and 15 of us want to do varsity or above.
Reality. Some get it. Some don't.

If all of those people were to get the varisty games, what would the assignor do with those currently getting them. He can't magically turn freshman games into varsity games. There are only so many "good" games. The numbers just don't work out to move everyone to varisty games in 3-4 years unless everyone is leaving after 5-6 years.

It took me a few years to recognize reality. I may have been good enough to do the varisty games. But, there were others who were just as good and had been doing them for several years. Why should the assignor knock them out to put me in? They waited their turn. Why shouldn't I?

To get the better games, I either needed to get better so that it was clear I belonged on the game over them or wait my turn.