The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Friday night, I am going to be working the Head Linesman position for the first time in a while. I really want to focus on NOT needing to turn and look at the chains to see if a team obtained a first down.

I realize that knowing where the front stake is located is the key. However, it seems that I lose the position of the chains as I move for the play. What do you experienced guys do to avoid turning for a peek?

My guess is that the field will not have the individual one yard hashes but will only have the yardlines marked every 5 yards.

Do you simply key off of the LJ? Do you try to focus on a static area that will definitely be a first down? What do you do to avoid turning around and looking at the chains?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

In our crew the LJ kills the clock and tells the ref if we are short, made it, or need measurement. You can mimick his kill clock signal for uniformity. Also, on close plays (3rd and 2, 4th and 1) come in a bit. This will both help to get a solid spot and it will help you to be able to communicate with the LJ. If nothing else, just ask the LJ "where are we?" or "are we short?".

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I tell my LJ that he has to make that call. L can't seem to get it through his head to not turn around so I keep hammering it into him to not turn around. LJ is looking straight at it all so it is easy for him to see it.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schultj
In our crew the LJ kills the clock and tells the ref if we are short, made it, or need measurement. You can mimick his kill clock signal for uniformity. Also, on close plays (3rd and 2, 4th and 1) come in a bit. This will both help to get a solid spot and it will help you to be able to communicate with the LJ. If nothing else, just ask the LJ "where are we?" or "are we short?".
If the LJ isn't 100% sure if it's a first down, he isn't killing the clock, right? At the point where it requires a look by the referee HE comes up and decides whether it is short (clock keeps running), needs a measurement (the R kills the clock for the measurement), or is a first down (the R will kill the clock to move the chains).

Nothing worse than killing the clock in a situation where it doesn't need to be killed.

And I recognize you may have meant what I just said, but it just didn't sound that way when I read it.

Rich
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 02:21pm
VaASAump

On our crew, I am the linesman. Like previously suggested, I look at our line judge and just "mimic" him. If he comes in killing the clock, then I know that we have a first down. If it's close, he will not kill the clock, but he will let the referee know that it's close. White hat then decides whether it's a first down (killing the clock), it's close and requires a measurement (again, killing the clock), or we are short (clock keeps running).

It's easier if you are on a field that has the yard lines marked every yard vs every 5 yards. Just about all the fields here are marked every yard. So, it's really easier for me to remember where the line to gain is.

Another suggestion, is to try to start every new series on a yard line. This makes it easier to judge where the line to gain is. Of course, again, this works great if the field is marked every yard vs every 5 yards.

Good luck.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

That last comment will get half of the 20-year officials around here nodding in agreement and saying "Here, Here!", and the other half in vehement opposition. (And leave us 2nd year guys getting strongly worded, yet opposite, tips from seasoned officials from week to week!).

I see both sides - 1 side says you're more accurate on 1st down calls when you begin on the yardlines as often as possible, and more accurate respotting the ball after incomplete passes or penalties. The other side will scream - how can you give a team up to half a yard one way or the other solely to make your job easier.

It amazes me how often I'm told one or the other when working with a seasoned guy. And it's always a strongly held opinion, whichever way they hold it. At this point, I just go with the flow and mark it the way that guy wants to mark it for that game.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked with other officials who want each series only after a kick to start on a yardline. We were even told this by an official who works NFL. I guess that way they have one line-to-gain per series that is easy to determine. Nobody ever recommended to us that every first down be placed on a yardline.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
I see both sides - 1 side says you're more accurate on 1st down calls when you begin on the yardlines as often as possible, and more accurate respotting the ball after incomplete passes or penalties. The other side will scream - how can you give a team up to half a yard one way or the other solely to make your job easier.

It amazes me how often I'm told one or the other when working with a seasoned guy. And it's always a strongly held opinion, whichever way they hold it. At this point, I just go with the flow and mark it the way that guy wants to mark it for that game.
Give them all they earned. No more, no less. If the ball is spotted between a yardline then that's fine. If you keep giving the extra yardage then you are cheating the defense. No where in the rules does it say to move the ball to the nearest yardline. There are rules in place to help us in determining first downs or not. If close, stop the clock and measure. Nobody ever said our job is easy. Don't take shortcuts. Remember back to the Rams and Titans Superbowl. The Titans lost by a yard. If only they would have been given that extra yard earlier in the drive. But then that wouldn't have been fair to the defense of the Rams.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm in charge, that's how I run it, and I agree with you wholeheartedly (although it's not always an "extra" half yard, it's just as often back a half yard).

But you would be surprised how often I put my foot at the spot of the ball (not on a yardline) after an obvious first down, and get a nasty look from the referee (often accompanied by a spotting of the ball at the nearest line anyway).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Mike,

I am the LJ on my crew, and I make that call, our referee and Linesman look to me, to see if I have stopped the clock or not. The mechanic I use to communicate this is, the stop the clock signal or I will hold up my hand showing the next down. If it is to close to call I tell the Ref to get a look at it.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I agree with everything that hsa been said about using the LJ.
As far as spotting the ball on the yard line, I like it as well, especially starting a series and if you can do it during the series it make it better. Coaches don't care, or at least I have not heard one complain.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Mike, I developed a habit of putting my right arm behind my back as I move laterally along the sideline. I do this for two reasons. One to see if anyone on the sideline is in my way/in back of me. The other is to touch the front stake when the line to gain has been met.

Depending on my chain crew, I may ask the front stake to tell/yell if we have a first down or we are close. I tell myself where we are going…”35 going 25”, etc. I also work wide the entire game.