The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Referee's Field Microphone

I've noticed it during the years, and especially tonight's Alabama/LSU game, the referee's field microphone is not turned on until after the coin toss and decision has been made. It is a bit embarrassing that Verne said let us hear Tom Ritter and you can't because the field microphone isn't turned on. The only other microphone there is an LSU radio stringer, which is good if you are listening on LSU radio, but does nothing for CBS. If we are into transparency, the field microphone should be turned on before the referee talks to the captain. In the NFL, the referee turns the field microphone before talking to the captains.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 12:38am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I've noticed it during the years, and especially tonight's Alabama/LSU game, the referee's field microphone is not turned on until after the coin toss and decision has been made. It is a bit embarrassing that Verne said let us hear Tom Ritter and you can't because the field microphone isn't turned on. The only other microphone there is an LSU radio stringer, which is good if you are listening on LSU radio, but does nothing for CBS. If we are into transparency, the field microphone should be turned on before the referee talks to the captain. In the NFL, the referee turns the field microphone before talking to the captains.
I'm pretty sure that handheld microphone was not solely for radio -- I heard it broadcasting on the stadium speakers although very faint. If would be a better idea to turn on the field microphone during the coin toss, although perhaps he forgot? What is the NCAA mechanic?
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 09:15am
TODO: creative title here

Here's my referee's method:

Mic off:
Captains shake hands

Mic on:
R: "Gentlemen, we're here for the coin toss... here's the coin. This is heads (shows them the heads side), and this is tails (shows them the tails side). ______ you're the visitors, #XX, what is your call?"
Captain: "Heads"
R: "Heads is the call"
U (to myself, writing down on game card): "Heads"
Tosses coin.
R: "it is Tails, ____ you've won the toss"

Mic off.
Get get appropriate choices from captains, line them up correctly.
Mic on.
"______ has won the toss, and chose to receive. They will receive at this end of the field. Good luck, gentlemen"
Mic off.

Umpire writes coin toss results and choices on his game card, which is then copied by the rest of the crew during the toss. R generally fills in his card at our first opportunity after the game starts.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 08:15pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
If we are into transparency, the field microphone should be turned on before the referee talks to the captain.
Huh? What transparency issue could there be?

And, FWIW, I heard the coin toss exchange clearly on CBS for the OT toss.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 09:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Huh? Both teams are represented, after all.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2014, 10:04pm
Chain of Fools

CBS and/or stadium audio tech may not have turned it on. The R has a switch but they can control the feed from the booth.

Lot bigger things to worry about.