The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

What is the responsibility of the BJ (5 man mechanics) during a measurement for first down?
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I believe that Federation Mechanics Manual indicates the the BJ is responsible for the ball, ensuring that its position is not moved prior to the measurement. Isn't that correct guys?
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Hold the ball.

Rich
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Agreed and don't turn your rear end toward the press box (TV) camera. Get North/South on the Defense side of the ball, out of the way of the chain.

If it's not a first down, keep the orginal ball in place and have someone get the R a new ball to take to hash if your are in the side zone. This way if the R loses his position on the chain, you can always come back and get the spot. If the ball is between the hashes, saw with the ball until the Umpire is ready to get over the ball so it don't get hit during all this movement.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

In Kentucky, when R calls for a measurement, the boxman on the chain crew moves up to the front stake, and the BJ goes over to hold him there. Then the chains are brought out by L.

The U holds the ball until the chains arrive.

This gives us a solid reference spot just in case, with all the movement, the clip comes off the chain.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wink in California

he holds the ball, making sure it doesn't move. Also, don't get in the way of the chains or the press box. No one wants to look at a back judges backside, although that's usually better than looking at an umpires.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The same as the Kentucky response; If you are working a 5 man crew, the back judge observes the chains before and after taking to the field but also making sure the clip is clipped at the correct line. He moves the box to the front stake before the chains leave the sideline and waits for the chains to be reset.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 02:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The Federation manual, though, specifies that the BJ is to hold the ball. What you do locally, though, is interesting.

Why wouldn't the L make sure the clip is right and the box was in the proper location?

Rich
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

L doesn't hold the box because he is clipping the chain and going out to the field. When this is done, the only official left on the sideline is BJ. U holds the ball still, while measuring on a 5 man crew during High School play.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

shouldn't the chain allready be clipped?? and the HL just needs to verify its position??
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Who would clip the chain? The HL does clip, but only on measurements/end of quarters.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 117chase
Who would clip the chain? The HL does clip, but only on measurements/end of quarters.
REPLY: Is that the way you handle it? Only clipping the chain on measurements and end of quarters? How do you handle a situation when a sweep causes your chain gang to drop their equipment and "abandon ship?" How do you get the LTG equipment back in the proper place. I believe that everyone else clips the chain at the beginning of every new series for just such a reason.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

In my crew, the HL talks to the chain gang prior to kick off. Most of these guys have been working the chains for a loooong time. The box man is instructed by the HL to clip the chain at the furtherst yard maker from the line to gain. On first downs, the guy holding the back stake holds the box while the boxman clips the marker to the chain. It seems to work pretty well.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The clip man should be clipping the chain every time it's set. Why would the HL have to clip the chain?

Why wouldn't the box man hold the box on the sideline?

Like I said, I'm always interested on what regional differences there are, but where I work we do it BY THE BOOK:

R - Eyes up the ball and determines whether a first down has been achieved

U - Takes front rod from chainman and pulls once the linesman tells him he's set

LJ - Aligns linesman with the ball

L - Directs box to spot of front rod. Takes chain/clip to ball and places chain on the proper yardline at the spot marked by the LJ

BJ - Tend ball at time of measurement

If the umpire is holding the ball in your world, who's pulling the front rod?

Rich
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 04:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've only seen clips NOT used during youth ball. I can't believe you'd not be having a clip set each time the chains are set. How would you be able to have the chains moved off the sidelines? How would the chain crew get out of the way, when necessary? What if the chains were accidentally moved prematurely?

Rich