The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Kickoff on Receiving Team's 10 yard line

That's right, you read the title correctly. Fed rules, We had a late score, visitors take the lead with a couple seconds left, home team players just lose all sense of self control and manage to commit 5 separate Unsportsmanlike Penalties, resulting in two ejections, and the AD having to come onto the field to yank the troublemakers off the field.

Our rules interpreter happened to be the white hat, and we enforced all 5 penalties on the kickoff. So, the enforcement goes from K40 to R45 for the first one, R30 for the second one, R15 for the third one, R7.5 for the fourth one, and R4 for the last one. After marking off all those penalties, we end up at R's 4 yard line. I suppose we can't have R's restraining line be 6 yards into their end zone, so our white hat brought the kickoff back to R's 10 yard line. Kickoff obviously went for a touchback.

Anyone comment on us marking off the penalty correctly?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it be R3.75 for the last one?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Who said R's restraining line can't be in their end zone in Fed? You can use the chain to mark the neutral zone, although I'm told here that's not proper mechanics.

What team K should probably do is just a short free kick, short of the goal line. What can team R do? And even if it goes out of bounds, according to what was discussed here a few yrs. ago, the only choices R has are:

penalty & have the kick repeated, and
accept possession at the dead ball spot.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 07:51am
Chain of Fools

There has been discussion in the past that you would use the chains to determine the R restraining line.

I think that AD needs to give a long thought to just telling his coach to terminate the game at that point. I guess there was enough time to get a snap off as the clock obviously didn't run on the touchback.

Did k kick it straight in? I would have just pooched it and let them take possession at the R9 instead of giving them the ball at the R20.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Should have kicked from the 3.75. And kicker should have kicked it 2 yards.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:28am
TODO: creative title here

Dug up the old thread from a couple of years back. (as it turns out, I'm the one who started it):
Free Kick Lines
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Did you allow K to decline any of the distance penalties? It seems a bit more advantageous to Kickoff from R's 30 or R's 15 and try an on-side kick....
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUMP View Post
Did you allow K to decline any of the distance penalties? It seems a bit more advantageous to Kickoff from R's 30 or R's 15 and try an on-side kick....
Not when you're leading very late in the game, unless they want to be mean. I'd rather have it at R 3.75 and just dub the ball off the tee.