The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting

breakaway running play down the seam, LJ turns to follow runner and runs into a coach for the offense at the numbers, he flags the coach and continues to officiate the play. Runner scores, LJ tells Referee what infraction the penalty flag is for. Referee gives preliminary signal, defensive coach accepts penalty and it is enforced from the spot of the foul. Offense scored a few plays later, and it didn't change the outcome of the game. Question is only a USL foul allows the score ? correct ?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Newbie football guy but...

In NFHS penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct fouls are always enforced from the succeeding spot.

I'm pretty sure all nonplayer fouls in NCAA are all enforced from the succeeding spot.

Score should count, enforce from succeeding spot, either try or kickoff at option of offended team.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

What could "the spot of the foul" possibly mean on a penalty against a coach? In any rule set?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Not Taunting

Per rule 10.4.8 this is not taunting, but " Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and an official in the restricted area while the ball is live." The penalty for which is "Unintentional contact with a game official in the restricted area. Nonplayer foul (Art. 8) – (S38; 29). For the first offense, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. For the second offense (S38- 29- 47) – 15 yards from the succeeding spot and disqualification of the head coach."
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Score should have counted and then penalty could/would have been accepted on the try or kickoff.

Last edited by JasonLJ; Tue Oct 21, 2014 at 01:23pm.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 01:36pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
runs into a coach for the offense at the numbers
, and
Quote:
Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and an official in the restricted area
I've never seen numbers in the restricted area. How did we get a post entitled "Taunting" out of this topic?

Coach is on the field- 9-6-4a indicates it is Illegal Participation for a. When any player, replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant enters and participates during a down. . Live ball foul-basic spot
If the non-players participation has an influence on play., IP should be ruled.

Its unsportsmanlike (9-8-1 for) i. Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player, this a non-player foul and would be assessed from the succeeding spot. Given in the OP enforcement was from the spot of the foul, then IP was apparently ruled.

Last edited by HLin NC; Tue Oct 21, 2014 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 03:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

In NCAA this is an unfair act and theoretically could be penalized with whatever the Referee deemed equitable. The standard treatment seems to be treat as a deadball foul and enforce from the succeeding spot.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
In NCAA this is an unfair act and theoretically could be penalized with whatever the Referee deemed equitable. The standard treatment seems to be treat as a deadball foul and enforce from the succeeding spot.
Under the NFHS code, "nonplayer" fouls are designated as "Succeeding spot" (Basic spot) enforcement (NFHS 10-5-c), so the result of the play would stand, in this example a TD, with a choice of enforcement on the try or subsequent KO at the offended teams discretion.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Pretty sad if this was a Varsity football game that a crew blew the enforcement this badly. Even though it didn't change the outcome, it sure could have.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

LJ runs into coach at the numbers?

Is this a typo?

Why were both of them at the numbers?

What's a coach doing that far on field?
Why was the LJ that far on field?
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 12:03pm
NFHS Official

Would anyone eject the coach for this on the first offense?
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Only if the coach was Mike Tomlin.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra2955 View Post
LJ runs into coach at the numbers?

Is this a typo?

Why were both of them at the numbers?

What's a coach doing that far on field?
Why was the LJ that far on field?
I had something like this once. I was working LJ and the team on my sideline had a huge fumble recovery and return. I'm trying to catch up and coaches got very excited and move on to the field. I understand it, but it's still not allowed. I tried to run around them and only get a sideline warning (technically not correct) and near the bottom of the numbers I was hit by a coach and knocked down. I flagged it for 15 yards and the head coach went nuts. He became very passive-aggressive the rest of the game reminding everyone to stay well off the field, because I needed more room than most.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I had something like this once. I was working LJ and the team on my sideline had a huge fumble recovery and return. I'm trying to catch up and coaches got very excited and move on to the field. I understand it, but it's still not allowed. I tried to run around them and only get a sideline warning (technically not correct) and near the bottom of the numbers I was hit by a coach and knocked down. I flagged it for 15 yards and the head coach went nuts. He became very passive-aggressive the rest of the game reminding everyone to stay well off the field, because I needed more room than most.
That, to me, sounds like a coach that was begging to be DQ'd!
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Would anyone eject the coach for this on the first offense?
If the Coach was from Douglass High School in OKC