The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

If the SEC spokesperson presumes that EVERY FS under 5 minutes left, by a team that's ahead is a conscious act to illegally (steal) time off the game clock, who am I to doubt him. He certainly knows the thought process of SEC teams a lot better than I, however his judgment applies ONLY to the SEC.

If Rich is comfortable deciding that EVERY FS under a minute is also INTENDED to creat an unfair disadvantage, that's his perogative, as long as he's wearing the White Hat (or convince someone else who's wearing one).

INTENT is what often differentiates "Illegal" from an otherwise honest "mistake".

However the rule, as currently written, provides for that decision (Snap or Ready) to be made by the Referee of the game in which the situation happens, so really all that matters is the judgment of the White Hat in that particular game. Presuming those decisions are made, "in the spirit of good sportsmanship"..."The Referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game" (matters distinctly specified in the rules, or not).
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Yup - that's the part of the rule that I think is rather stupid.
It's especially stupid because it makes the rules different between the 2nd half & the 1st, which means the coin toss matters a little more since they adopted it.

The judgment situation is not as severe as it has been in the past. The rule against delay of game was applied to failures to put the ball in play, for many decades before the rules specified a time limit. The 1st time limit didn't even apply directly to time to play the ball, only time in the huddle! I guess they thought there was less excuse to stall if you weren't huddling. Then for a few years after they adopted a limit on time to play the ball, they retained the limit on time in the huddle.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Tue Oct 21, 2014 at 08:24pm.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
However the rule, as currently written, provides for that decision (Snap or Ready) to be made by the Referee of the game in which the situation happens, so really all that matters is the judgment of the White Hat in that particular game. Presuming those decisions are made, "in the spirit of good sportsmanship"..."The Referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game" (matters distinctly specified in the rules, or not).
Unfortunately this is not the case in the Arkansas - Alabama game as the R was outed by his own coordinator. Unless there was a previously memo on this issue by the SEC, I think this R got shafted.

What I think we should do is create a Ref Czar, force all officials to join one organization, charge high dues, and pay the czar handsomely so that he could set guidelines in these types of matters.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 12:58pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
What I think we should do is create a Ref Czar, force all officials to join one organization, charge high dues, and pay the czar handsomely so that he could set guidelines in these types of matters.
Hmmm.... interesting idea.

I propose the name of this organization be "College Football Officiating" or "College Football Officials"... that would at least provide with a handy acronym for use in both formal and informal settings.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Unfortunately this is not the case in the Arkansas - Alabama game as the R was outed by his own coordinator. Unless there was a previously memo on this issue by the SEC, I think this R got shafted.

From what I've heard, SEC mechanics and philosophy state that under five minutes in the 4th, that the clock should start on the snap in this situation.

I'm also willing to bet though that 99/100 times, given similar circumstances, a D-I referee regardless of the conference, would start this on the snap. I'd also bet on seeing a rule change in the near future as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.