The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 10, 2014, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I'm in total agreement with what you suggest, accept that I don't work basketball, so I don't pay a lot of attention to what basketball rules, or officials, decide is appropriate for THEIR sport, as well those decisions may be.

State Associations absolutely make decisions about requirements, procedures and interpretations that apply WITHIN their State, and it's smart to abide by those decisions when working WITHIN those States. ("When in Rome, do as a Roman" - BUT that doesn't automatically mean that whatever Romans decide, applies OUTSIDE Rome.)

I'm no where near sure, " what is required by States outside Texas or Mass", but in NYS, unless and until NYS has decided to do something different, NFHS Rules apply as written, just as NCAA rules apply to collegiate level games. DIFFERENT doesn't necessarily mean there has to be a "Right and Wrong". Different just means DIFFERENT.

What works well for NCAA, or NFL may work equally as well for NFHS, then again that's up to the NFHS, or the individual governing board within each NFHS State, to decide when (or if) to adopt practices or "philosophies" accepted by other governing bodies.

Following the instructions, policies and decisions of YOUR State governing board is sound advice, but until MY State decides to agree with those decisions, I hope you'll understand, I'm doing my best to follow that same "sound advice".
If you are doing something your state wants or suggests, that is fine with me. My point is that many people try to assume that everyone that is a NF member (states) agrees on every interpretation or philosophy. Better yet, I do not know of a policy or interpretation that really contradicts with the philosophy of surviving the ground or hit to acknowledge a catch. I have yet to see anything that says that is in appropriate for the NF level. Even the targeting and defenseless player stuff that we have talked about, my state took a different position than what a current NF committee member was saying about the current rules and interpretation. The NF will not even answer most rules or interpretation questions from officials directly, they ask the individuals to contact their state organization for clarification. If that is the case, then what do you think is going to take place if people adhere to this philosophy? Obviously nothing as I have been using this for years and never had anyone complain about a call or situation where I used this philosophy or my crew used this philosophy. And we worked the highest of levels and one of the calls took place in a state final. Never heard the state come up and say, "That was an incorrect application of the rules." Trust me, I was waiting for that to take place in my situation and it never happened.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 10, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Better yet, I do not know of a policy or interpretation that really contradicts with the philosophy of surviving the ground or hit to acknowledge a catch. I have yet to see anything that says that is in appropriate for the NF level.
Seems to me from this discussion and others on this subject, 47 of the 48 states using NFHS rules agree with you, Jeff. And 31 of 32 districs in NY do as well. And 73 of the 74 fields in ajmc's area do as well... the exception being the field that ajmc is on.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 10, 2014, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
This is where the consistency gets really nice. If a receiver catches the pass and gets hit immediately causing the ball to come out, it's incomplete. If he crashes into the goal support immediately after catching the ball, it's incomplete. If the goal support is well behind the end line he may have had a few steps before hitting it. Then it would be complete. If he goes to the ground a few steps after catching it, then it's complete.
So then the action of falling is not the be-all & end-all of defining an interval in which the player must retain control of the ball. A few steps is sufficient even if the player is falling while stepping (and at the end of that fall hits the ground or a goal support).
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So then the action of falling is not the be-all & end-all of defining an interval in which the player must retain control of the ball. A few steps is sufficient even if the player is falling while stepping (and at the end of that fall hits the ground or a goal support).
If he's going to the ground in the process of completing the catch, then he must maintain possession even if there are a couple steps. That's a pretty rare combination and there could be some judgement involved. After watching a few plays it becomes much easier to identify this action.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Seems to me from this discussion and others on this subject, 47 of the 48 states using NFHS rules agree with you, Jeff. And 31 of 32 districs in NY do as well. And 73 of the 74 fields in ajmc's area do as well... the exception being the field that ajmc is on.
Wow, I haven't contacted anywhere near 47 States, who operate under the NFHS code, didn't realize there are 32 districts in NYS (thought it was 18) and don't believe there are 74 football fields in our section, actually schools have been consolidating, but thanks for the update.

By any chance would you happen to have something worthwhile or of actual value, to share related to this subject?