The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the whistle kills the play, we were always taught while breaking in that the order is:
whistle (stops all action)
kill the clock
flag
I keep the whistle in my mouth until the play starts then I spit it out and hold it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 05:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Starting as a basketball official 16 years ago, I've always been partial to a whistle with a lanyard.

2 reasons I hate the finger whistle:

(1) Two handed mechanics, like stopping the clock or signaling an incomplete pass. Looks awkward when the official starts signaling with one hand.

(2) Feels funny on my hand.

Anyhow, I do what others here talk about -- I put the whistle in my mouth and then let it drop on the snap. Unless I have to run hard, I'll take the whistle and hold it in my hand until it needs to be blown. Best of both worlds.

Rich
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
This will be my first year. I was told a little trick to help is to tape the end of your flag with white athletic tape so others think you are grabbing the bean bag.....
I think the tape on the end of your flag looks tacky
when the flag is on the ground. I suggest following other tips on this thread, learning the correct way for you and
just keeping your head in the game. We , as officials,
do not need to be trying to think of ways to cover mistakes.
We need to be thinking of more ways for preventing these
mistakes in the first place.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ump76
Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
This will be my first year. I was told a little trick to help is to tape the end of your flag with white athletic tape so others think you are grabbing the bean bag.....
I think the tape on the end of your flag looks tacky
when the flag is on the ground. I suggest following other tips on this thread, learning the correct way for you and
just keeping your head in the game. We , as officials,
do not need to be trying to think of ways to cover mistakes.
We need to be thinking of more ways for preventing these
mistakes in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
We tape the "bag" end of the flag here with the white atletic tape, for the flag to not be obvious yellow hanging outa the uniform....just following the assc rules)
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know that taping a flag is covering a mistake. First, it looks better not having the yellow hanging out of the front of the uniform (I don't carry it in my back pocket because I don't want the grass and dirt in the pants). Second, if I have a hand on my flag and don't throw because I decided not to, then that's not covering a mistake. It means that, while a foul occurred, that there was some reason I decided not to flag.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-