The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I need some advise on whistles for linesman. What do you guys do at the snap if you have the nearest man off the line? If punch with one arm, and have the other on the flag in case of a false start, then I am slow to the whistle on a false start. I'm thinking of keeping the whistle in my mouth for the false start, then holding it in my hand when the play starts. I've even heard of some having two whistles; one on finger for the false start, and one on a lanyard for the play. Thoughts?

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Joel, have your whistle in your mouth for the false start, at the snap, spit the whistle out of your mouth. You can reach for it if you need it.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

No need to put your hand on the flag. Hold your whistle, blow it, then reach for the flag. otherwise, you look like a gunslinger, just waiting to throw.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with AZ Ump.

Whistle in mouth, if no infraction at snap, spit it out and officiate.

If you're a newer official, you will develop a "feel' for finding and then throwing your flag as you blow the whistle.

Whistle first to stop the play followed immediately by the flag. Vice versa doesn't work.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Just a word of advice. Don't put your hand on the flag anticipating a false start or defensive encroachment (NF). It doesn't look good. The important thing for any pre-snap fouls is to keep the action from developing. If there is a pre-snap infraction followed by a snap of what is a dead ball, get on the whistle hard--multiple toots if necessary. Follow that up with the flag. Even under the most difficult circumstances the flag should never come more than a second or two later.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. The whistle stops the play, a flag doesn't. I've gone to the longer lanyard that allows me to keep it in my hand during the play. I do carry a 2nd whistle in my pocket. Got into a situation a few years ago where I broke my whistle while digging for a fumble. Was using a finger whistle (another good reason not to use one). As for carrying your flag, for the new guys, my recommendation is to keep in belt up front not in your back pocket. You don't want to look like a gunslinger. I put mine in my belt on the left side-front. I'm right handed. Takes a split second longer to get to it, but also gives you time to think "do I really need to flag this play or not?" Also, by having it up front, if you reach and don't throw, nobody really sees you do it. Just adjust your belt and they don't know the difference.

The little things do make a difference.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree about not using a finger whistle - especially for newer guys. That split second that it takes to put it up to your lips and blow could make the difference for an inadvertant whistle situation, e.g. on a loose ball. I know it has saved me more than once.

I have it on my right hand and have had to dig for fumbles in piles and never had it break (I use a metal). Heck, even the plastic one I bought 7 years ago is still in one piece. My only beef is with the metal one (Acme Thunderer), I'm pretty much deaf for an hour after a game that I white hat after blowing it ready for play 100 times or so.

I used to carry a lanyard and finger and do what you guys are saying, but when I ran once the play started, it would hit me in the face.

Do you guys toss the flag toward the side of the offending team? I've seen this in other chapters. Looks great unless the opposite guy has defense and you had offense.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Whistle in mouth.....

Boy, I am opposite of you guys!!! When i am on the wing, I keep whistle(on lanyard) in mouth, cover the blowhole with toungue. When working R,U, or BJ, finger whistle...especially at U! Last game last season, Varsity contest, I blew an IW on a fumble that B recovered, LJ had the ball out before runner hit ground, worst part was B knew I kicked it....blew that baby too soon...live and learn....
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

2 flags by wingers

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I disagree about not using a finger whistle - especially for newer guys. That split second that it takes to put it up to your lips and blow could make the difference for an inadvertant whistle situation, e.g. on a loose ball. I know it has saved me more than once.

I have it on my right hand and have had to dig for fumbles in piles and never had it break (I use a metal). Heck, even the plastic one I bought 7 years ago is still in one piece. My only beef is with the metal one (Acme Thunderer), I'm pretty much deaf for an hour after a game that I white hat after blowing it ready for play 100 times or so.

I used to carry a lanyard and finger and do what you guys are saying, but when I ran once the play started, it would hit me in the face.

Do you guys toss the flag toward the side of the offending team? I've seen this in other chapters. Looks great unless the opposite guy has defense and you had offense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
We just send the flag up...up...and away! Bust in to R and talk, if obvious, a quick point to offenders.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I begin every play with my whistle in my mouth. Then take it out after the snap I always keep my whistle in my hand even when running on long plays. When the play is ending then I will put it back in.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Whistle in mouth.....

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Boy, I am opposite of you guys!!! When i am on the wing, I keep whistle(on lanyard) in mouth, cover the blowhole with toungue.
That doesn't prevent you from blowing it. If it's in your mouth, you'll blow it, sooner or later.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Re: Whistle in mouth.....

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Boy, I am opposite of you guys!!! When i am on the wing, I keep whistle(on lanyard) in mouth, cover the blowhole with toungue.
That doesn't prevent you from blowing it. If it's in your mouth, you'll blow it, sooner or later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
I already "blew it", and that was an IW with a finger whistle(go figure) Have had no probs with the whistle in mouth lanyard deal...must be my foggy Ca air....LOL
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 01:15pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
This will be my first year. I was told a little trick to help is to tape the end of your flag with white athletic tape so others think you are grabbing the bean bag.....
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Whistle in mouth.....

Quote:
must be my foggy Ca air....LOL [/B]
Chris, if you are in foggy CA air, you must be in SF or on the peninsula. Where do you officiate?
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I keep the whistle in my mouth and my tongue in the hole. I don't drop it unless I have to talk to someone.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-