The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Refs

I'd like to get some clarification regarding rules for handing the ball forward. I am looking at rule 7-3-1 through 7-3-3 of NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations)rules.

I'm curious about rules for handing the ball forward to a wingback by the QB. Rule 7-3-1 basically says that it is legal to hand a ball forward to a back or temmate who, at the snap, was on an end of his line and was not the snapper or adjacent to the snapper. Does this mean that the WB must be on the end of the scrimmage line or just not adjacent to the snapper? What if I have a split end outside of the wb? Does "end of his line" mean that he must be on the line of scrimmage?

Thanks

G6
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Coach...

In rule 7-3-2, the "handee" must meet the conditions of subarticle a OR b, not both... So to summarize, assuming that the handing is behind the line of scrimmage, before any possession change, blah blah blah:

1) Any backward handing is legal
2) Forward handing to any back is legal
3) Forward handing to the ends is legal, unless you've got some sort of goofy formation where the center or guard is on the end of the line
4) Forward handing to anyone else is legal if they go through the gyrations lined out in 7-3-2-a...

Assuming that your wingback is properly off the line of scrimmage, he should not be subject to any extra restrictions as far as receiving the handoff...

Hope that helps...