The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Our association has instances (just like any other associations) where coaches have grudges against certain officials and "demand" that these officials not work their
games. When is this considered ok or when does the coach
not have an option on who gets to work his games. How is this handle in other associations. When does this get out of hand. Do assigning officers honor these requests or
disregard them?

P.S. I don't mean for this to be a silly topic I am looking for some honest feedback on how these situations are handled in different areas.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

In SC, each head coach can write off up to 6 officials per year.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Our association in Cheyenne Wy, tries to honor the requests if possible....but we are to the point where we only have enough guys for 2 crews, so they are about to have to take what they can get...but if 1 school/coach has a problem with one individual, we try to not send them out there, we send them to the other location if we can...it doesn't always work that way...but we try
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

6! Wow!

In NC, it's up for each local association to establish their own mark off system, although one is not required. Our association allows each coach three markoffs.

Also, I agree that markoffs are usually not a result of an oncorrect call or ruling. It's usually either a personality issue or a grudge held by the coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not an issue

In CA, not aware that we have any formal system.

Our assignor is pretty good at defending our guys if there's an issue with a coach. I'm guessing that he will also assign "around" official/coach sitations as needed, although it's not obvious.

The only time a coach can scratch officials is during playoff and championship games.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

ump76,

Depends solely on your system. Around here we have many assignors for the many different conferences around. Each assignor has their own set of rules and regulations that controls that. But I am sure that they do not want to just put an crew or official on a game knowing that the coach will go looking for some trouble. But I am also sure that in some cases, the assignor does not have much choice as to where he puts certain crews all the time. But that is what is like around me. Your area could be totally different.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

If you have not seen this newspaper article I have posted on other sites, it describes our process. (I am NOT saying this is a good method)

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.c...00&xlc=1038047

[Edited by TXMike on Aug 13th, 2003 at 09:13 PM]
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Suffolk County has 50 high schools all serviced by one association and the athletic association is responsible for assigning officials to the 25 games each week.

So we are told the top rated crews get the most competitve games and it goes downhill from there. We work in the same 4-man (that's a big gripe) crews all season. If someone is absent there are varsity substitutes available for fill-ins. All assignments are to a referee and his crew and members of the association board with the athletic association make the assignments.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 10:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ump76
Our association has instances (just like any other associations) where coaches have grudges against certain officials and "demand" that these officials not work their
games. When is this considered ok or when does the coach
not have an option on who gets to work his games. How is this handle in other associations. When does this get out of hand. Do assigning officers honor these requests or
disregard them?

P.S. I don't mean for this to be a silly topic I am looking for some honest feedback on how these situations are handled in different areas.
In my local association here in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, the idea of coaches' influence on assignments is not considered.

Mike
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

In Alabama, the head coach can scratch up to 10% of the association's roster and the association must honor the list. The state office has fined associations that ignore the scratch list. The coach cannot scratch more than 10% of blacks, whites, males, or females.

Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

We have no formal way of "scratching" an official from a game. If the official is able to stay in good graces with
the state offices then I do not belive a coach should have any influence on a decision due to any on field dis-agreements. I appreciate your input on this thread this will help our local association with any possible changes.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

UMP76,

Get back to work.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

We have an agreement with our association on this topic ... they don't get involved in the discipline or allocation of the officials, and we don't get involved in the discipline or allocation of the coaches (except to report problems on the field, legal matters notwithstanding).

As the allocator, there are just some officials that don't go on the sidelines due to near-fatal symptoms of 'rabbitear-itis'. Having said that, the coaches always have my phone number and if there are any problems I deal with them immediately. Fortunately our association is small enough where I can do that (don't have 50 coaches screaming at me every monday morning) - but I also make sure that if I'm playing cop I do it as impartially as possible.

We had one instance a couple of years back where a coach - who happened to be a cop - threatened a sideline official with "be careful where you drive, because no matter where it is, it could be a long drive". This was one of those instances where the 'agreement' with the football assoc was a severe disadvantage to us, but we've had things go the other way as well (arrogant HR got off lighter than probably should have been the case).

Frankly, I don't think the football associations should be interfering in the allocation of the officials. What if an official doesn't like a coach in SC? Can you vote a coach off the island? I think it's utterly ridiculous. The officials are a part of the game - coaches can't control the weather, they can't control the field conditions, they can't control the fans.

Get used to it or learn to play scrabble.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Officials in SC can write off up to 6 schools, as well. It works out pretty well. There are nearly 600 officials in the state and 200 schools, so its not like a high percentage, but it takes care of the occassional personality conflict.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

My Chapter here in Texas has about 475 officials. We have 58 crews (5 man). In the summer all 5A and 4A coaches have a draft put on by the chapter. They choose crews to work games that season. A crew may not work more than 2 games per week.
All 3A,2A,1A and christian schools and 6 man are assigned from
the remaining officials by years of expearance.
Crews may not work more than 2 games per season for any one school during regular season. If a coach cut a crew after they
have been drafted they must pay twice. e for the original crew and once for the crew they use. If they cut a official from the pool officials for the 3A, 2A,1A, or other class games we have enough officials to just switch officials. Most guys say if they don't want me then I sure don't want to be there.We are lucky enough to have about 475 officials so covering varsity games are not a problem. Sub varsity is another story.
Playoff games are assigned by request. The home team has the choice but must be agreed on by the visitors. If there is a problem then the State body will send a crew from a outside chapter.
Very few problems with this system.
Due to the number of schools and number of fields varsity games are played on Thursday, Friday and some fields several games are played on Saturday. Larger games are also played at Texas Stadium.