The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Recovering from Football season (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96815-recovering-football-season.html)

bigjohn Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18pm

Recovering from Football season

One little PS to the Mentor QB thread.

Conner Krizancic won't play this week as he recovers from the football season, which leaves Caleb Potter as the only returning starter on opening night.

No. 4 Mentor boys basketball seeing plenty of new faces as it attempts to defend state title (video) - cleveland.com

bigjohn Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:19pm

Journalism...ethics and all that - Page 7 - Yappi Sports

Welpe Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:35pm

What's your point, John?

asdf Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:58pm

All irrelevant to what was observed on the field.

bigjohn Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08pm

Sorry, thought you would find this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yMA6aDP28fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

asdf Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 915254)
Sorry, thought you would find this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

And you still have not proven anything with regards to what the officials observed or what the medical staff observed.

Terror Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41am

I don't understand what you expect from the officials here. He is down, the officials signal time out and call for medical staff. They don't know why he is down as players lay down injured all the time. The med staff comes and the officials leave the area to dead ball officiate. The med staff probably should have known and done something, that seems obvious after the fact.

The rule for the officials is not really for this situation when medical staff come on the scene. Its for what an official would observe from a player who is still in the game but giving off concussion signals that he didn't need treatment for at the time of the hit. The rule says that if he is directed out of the game then he can't come back. But an official needs to do that and you do that with a player you observe with the symptoms. We trust that the medical staff is going to be better prepared than we are to make judgements when they come on the scene. If I see a rb staggering around or out of it after a play that he got his bell rung but on his way back to the huddle then it is on me to look at him and make a judgement, but when a player is down on the ground it is up to the med staff to do the same.

bigjohn Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:09pm

If this rule is to have any effect, the officials needs to find out what is wrong with this player that is being removed after laying on the ground for 5 minutes, if it is head related at all he needs to say to the head coach, He is done for the day.

That is the referees responsibility is to make sure a kid does not return to play after a head injury.
The coach and the trainers are definitely wrong to put a kid back in after being removed.

The official still is charged with enforcement of this rule if a coach breaks it.

That is very clearly the spirit of this rule and law. You guys can act like it is not his job to go find out why the kid was down. The Law says he needs to know and make sure no athlete is put in danger of serious injury.

Welpe Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12pm

I'm glad I don't officiate in Ohio (at least for this reason).

scrounge Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 915362)
I'm glad I don't officiate in Ohio (at least for this reason).

No need to be, bigjohn is completely wrong on the officials' responsibilities and the implementation of this. The idea that the referee has a responsibility to intervene and ensure that others are following the law is contrary to anything in the statute or the training and implementation of this. Bigjohn, you are completely wrong on both the spirit and letter of the law.

bigjohn Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22pm

4. What is the role of contest officials in administering the rule?
• Officials are to review and know the signs and symptoms of concussion and to direct
immediate removal of any student who displays these signs or symptoms. When informing the
head coach about removal of an athlete, the official shall be accompanied by another (second)
official if possible.
• An official shall not permit the athlete who has been removed under this rule to return to
competition that same day.
• If a contest official is aware that a student has been permitted to return to competition on the
same day as removal, that official shall immediately stop play and remove that student from
competition and report the incident to the OHSAA.

http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/Concus...egulations.pdf

IAUMP Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:37pm

BigJohn, I am not from Ohio but no where in what you posted does it say that the Officials are to intervene in the treatment of a player to determine what their injury is. All it says is "
• An official shall not permit the athlete who has been removed under this rule to return to
competition that same day.
• If a contest official is aware that a student has been permitted to return to competition on the
same day as removal, that official shall immediately stop play and remove that student from
competition and report the incident to the OHSAA."

Therefore, since the Officials did not remove the player they have no responsibility to remove him again until they notice further symptoms of a concussion. If they did not notice any symptoms they the Officials have no duty to remove the player.

asdf Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:40pm

Did you get non-renewed in January because you don't know how to tell the truth?

Lie #1
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 915360)
if it is head related at all he needs to say to the head coach, He is done for the day.

If this were true, a cut on the forehead would preclude a player from returning. How about a cut lip? Then you have the issue of the return to play protocol. A cut lip or forehead are not signs, symptoms or behaviors of a concussion.

Lie #2
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 915360)
You guys can act like it is not his job to go find out why the kid was down. The Law says he needs to know and make sure no athlete is put in danger of serious injury.

Ok Mr. Cut and Paste.....Show me in the ORC or the OHSAA regulations where this is the case.

bigjohn Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:45pm

everyone on our staff was non renewed in January. The Head Coach was not rehired.

I did not apply to be employed as a football coach this year, my son was on the staff as a volunteer assistant. I am going to retire from teaching June 1, 2014

Not sure when you say Lie what you mean. The way I read these rules everyone is responsible for this new law.

scrounge Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49pm

You can keep posting snippets out of context all you want, but all those apply to what the officials observe themselves in their normal course of duty. NOWHERE is an additional verification step or intervening with the judgment and actions of others implied, required, or even encouraged. Everyone is not responsible for everyone else, you have misread it. Everyone is responsible for what they observe and what they see, that's it.