The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Recovering from Football season

One little PS to the Mentor QB thread.

Conner Krizancic won't play this week as he recovers from the football season, which leaves Caleb Potter as the only returning starter on opening night.

No. 4 Mentor boys basketball seeing plenty of new faces as it attempts to defend state title (video) - cleveland.com
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Journalism...ethics and all that - Page 7 - Yappi Sports
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

What's your point, John?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

All irrelevant to what was observed on the field.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, thought you would find this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

Last edited by APG; Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 12:11pm. Reason: embedded clip
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Sorry, thought you would find this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be
And you still have not proven anything with regards to what the officials observed or what the medical staff observed.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand what you expect from the officials here. He is down, the officials signal time out and call for medical staff. They don't know why he is down as players lay down injured all the time. The med staff comes and the officials leave the area to dead ball officiate. The med staff probably should have known and done something, that seems obvious after the fact.

The rule for the officials is not really for this situation when medical staff come on the scene. Its for what an official would observe from a player who is still in the game but giving off concussion signals that he didn't need treatment for at the time of the hit. The rule says that if he is directed out of the game then he can't come back. But an official needs to do that and you do that with a player you observe with the symptoms. We trust that the medical staff is going to be better prepared than we are to make judgements when they come on the scene. If I see a rb staggering around or out of it after a play that he got his bell rung but on his way back to the huddle then it is on me to look at him and make a judgement, but when a player is down on the ground it is up to the med staff to do the same.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

If this rule is to have any effect, the officials needs to find out what is wrong with this player that is being removed after laying on the ground for 5 minutes, if it is head related at all he needs to say to the head coach, He is done for the day.

That is the referees responsibility is to make sure a kid does not return to play after a head injury.
The coach and the trainers are definitely wrong to put a kid back in after being removed.

The official still is charged with enforcement of this rule if a coach breaks it.

That is very clearly the spirit of this rule and law. You guys can act like it is not his job to go find out why the kid was down. The Law says he needs to know and make sure no athlete is put in danger of serious injury.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm glad I don't officiate in Ohio (at least for this reason).
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm glad I don't officiate in Ohio (at least for this reason).
No need to be, bigjohn is completely wrong on the officials' responsibilities and the implementation of this. The idea that the referee has a responsibility to intervene and ensure that others are following the law is contrary to anything in the statute or the training and implementation of this. Bigjohn, you are completely wrong on both the spirit and letter of the law.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

4. What is the role of contest officials in administering the rule?
• Officials are to review and know the signs and symptoms of concussion and to direct
immediate removal of any student who displays these signs or symptoms. When informing the
head coach about removal of an athlete, the official shall be accompanied by another (second)
official if possible.
• An official shall not permit the athlete who has been removed under this rule to return to
competition that same day.
• If a contest official is aware that a student has been permitted to return to competition on the
same day as removal, that official shall immediately stop play and remove that student from
competition and report the incident to the OHSAA.

http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/Concus...egulations.pdf
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

BigJohn, I am not from Ohio but no where in what you posted does it say that the Officials are to intervene in the treatment of a player to determine what their injury is. All it says is "
• An official shall not permit the athlete who has been removed under this rule to return to
competition that same day.
• If a contest official is aware that a student has been permitted to return to competition on the
same day as removal, that official shall immediately stop play and remove that student from
competition and report the incident to the OHSAA."

Therefore, since the Officials did not remove the player they have no responsibility to remove him again until they notice further symptoms of a concussion. If they did not notice any symptoms they the Officials have no duty to remove the player.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Did you get non-renewed in January because you don't know how to tell the truth?

Lie #1
Quote:
if it is head related at all he needs to say to the head coach, He is done for the day.
If this were true, a cut on the forehead would preclude a player from returning. How about a cut lip? Then you have the issue of the return to play protocol. A cut lip or forehead are not signs, symptoms or behaviors of a concussion.

Lie #2
Quote:
You guys can act like it is not his job to go find out why the kid was down. The Law says he needs to know and make sure no athlete is put in danger of serious injury.
Ok Mr. Cut and Paste.....Show me in the ORC or the OHSAA regulations where this is the case.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

everyone on our staff was non renewed in January. The Head Coach was not rehired.

I did not apply to be employed as a football coach this year, my son was on the staff as a volunteer assistant. I am going to retire from teaching June 1, 2014

Not sure when you say Lie what you mean. The way I read these rules everyone is responsible for this new law.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

You can keep posting snippets out of context all you want, but all those apply to what the officials observe themselves in their normal course of duty. NOWHERE is an additional verification step or intervening with the judgment and actions of others implied, required, or even encouraged. Everyone is not responsible for everyone else, you have misread it. Everyone is responsible for what they observe and what they see, that's it.