Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:20am
AremRed

Patriots-Browns

Anyone see the ending of Pats-Browns?

Pereira: No, that definitely was NOT pass interference

I was reading a fan message board and found some "interesting" comments I think you might enjoy:

"The reason this is happening is because the rules are becoming so complex and so obtuse, even referees don't know what to call and what not to call anymore.
The solution isn't more reviews, it's clarifying/simplifying the rules so that they are clear cut, and not as subjective as they are now."

"The problem is that too many calls are becoming the ref's choice. For example, a false start is a false start. If the offensive player moves, its a penalty. Not a lot of grey area. However, what is the exact time frame that you can hit a QB after the throw? When is the exact time that a receiver stops being defenseless, and are there times when he isn't defenseless? And pass interference, well I honestly think offensive players get away with too much of it. Look at the big tight ends. Many of these guy's routes involve running directly into the defender then turning around and catching the ball, or running a slant through the defender rather than past or around. The defenders need a break when it comes to penalties."

"IMO they need to really start looking at if the ball was catchable. If it wasn't, then illegal contact. If it was and the defender wasn't actually preventing the receiver from catching it but was touching/holding them in some way, illegal touching or defensive holding. If they were literally preventing them from catching the ball without playing the ball, PI."

Last edited by AremRed; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 05:25am.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

So his complaint is that the rules are too complex, but his solution....
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a weak call when I saw it. One of the angles shown was the same angle as the covering official and I saw nothing that fit into the traditional categories.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:45pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I thought it was a weak call when I saw it. One of the angles shown was the same angle as the covering official and I saw nothing that fit into the traditional categories.
That crew will have a couple downgrades from that game. Since Boger called ING on Brady, he had to get one on the Browns' QB too, even though he was (a) out of the tackle box, and (b) the ball landed near an eligible.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So his complaint is that the rules are too complex, but his solution....
Two different posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
he had to get one on the Browns' QB too
What do you mean by this?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Some of those suggestions are stupid...the instant a rule is made black and white, fans will go back and complain that officials should use judgement in making calls.

As to that illegal contact/DPI suggestion, that seems to come from someone that doesn't understand the NFL rules in place during a pass play. Catchability is written into the pass interference rules as it is. The fact is, with these players being freaky athletic, officials are going to judge the ball catchable except in the most obvious of cases. Whatever that person is suggesting is adding even more judgement and complexity to rules and fans would be crying when an official judged holding or whatever he was trying to say instead of going with DPI.

I don't think the rules are too complex for the officials. Are they too complex for the average fan? Yes, but they don't also spend actual time in the rule book and case book. These guys are constantly in the rule book...get quizzes from the league every week during the season...are constantly being quizzed and have to stay sharp during the offseason.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Some of those suggestions are stupid...the instant a rule is made black and white, fans will go back and complain that officials should use judgement in making calls.

As to that illegal contact/DPI suggestion, that seems to come from someone that doesn't understand the NFL rules in place during a pass play. Catchability is written into the pass interference rules as it is. The fact is, with these players being freaky athletic, officials are going to judge the ball catchable except in the most obvious of cases. Whatever that person is suggesting is adding even more judgement and complexity to rules and fans would be crying when an official judged holding or whatever he was trying to say instead of going with DPI.

I don't think the rules are too complex for the officials. Are they too complex for the average fan? Yes, but they don't also spend actual time in the rule book and case book. These guys are constantly in the rule book...get quizzes from the league every week during the season...are constantly being quizzed and have to stay sharp during the offseason.
I totally agree!!!

Peace