Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Mike Pereira was on a national radio show last night and they were talking about this situation. I just caught the last couple of minutes of it. He said that in the NFL, the HL should not move the chains at all until the R signals to him that it is a first down, which didn't happen since Tripplette was signaling third down before the snap.
True, but I believe the HL believed that Triplette was signaling first down, in fact that was what I think Al saw when he said a first down was rewarded. Looking at the replay, it is awfully tough to discern that it was a third down signal unless you were standing next to Triplette. All the time you see the HL signaling the chain gang to move when the runner obviously reached the line to gain.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 08:32pm
In Time Out

Bengals' BenJarvus Green-Ellis Scores Controversial TD Against Colts | Bleacher Report

Triplette's on a roll.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I watched several replays and could not tell if the NT made contact. It looks very possible he tripped on his own which means the reversal was correct. If Triplett did not look at the possible early contact then he may be in a bit of trouble. Per the pool report transcript he only looked at the goal line.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:35am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If Triplett did not look at the possible early contact then he may be in a bit of trouble. Per the pool report transcript he only looked at the goal line.
Correct.

Cincinnati Bengals vs. Indianapolis Colts Pool Report
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Hey, thanks for proving my theory. You realize this isn't a forum to come and bitch about pro officials missing calls, right?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It appears to me they got this one right, despite the idiots claiming differently. This isn't NCAA rules people.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My advice: maybe start a discussion to see if people here think the call was missed rather than just diving in and, well, I'll leave it at that.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Hey, thanks for proving my theory. You realize this isn't a forum to come and bitch about pro officials missing calls, right?
Doubt he's even a baseball umpire either. He's never once posted in the Baseball forum concerning a situation he was involved in.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It appears to me they got this one right, despite the idiots claiming differently. This isn't NCAA rules people.
The issue here is the potential contact was not at the goal line but back at the 4/5 when he was tripped. That is the contact that was ruled to have put the runner down, but Triplett didn't look at that part of the play to determine if there was contact. I don't think it's conclusive so the call on the field should have stood.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The issue here is the potential contact was not at the goal line but back at the 4/5 when he was tripped. That is the contact that was ruled to have put the runner down,
How in the world could you possibly know this.

And ... seems to me in the replay there's no chance he was tripped by the NT (I admit the one video in this thread is inconclusive). The one shown on the NFL Red Zone was pretty clear.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
How in the world could you possibly know this.

And ... seems to me in the replay there's no chance he was tripped by the NT (I admit the one video in this thread is inconclusive). The one shown on the NFL Red Zone was pretty clear.
There was definitely a chance he was tripped, but I agree, it wasn't conclusive from the replay; even with stop-action on an HDTV.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There was definitely a chance he was tripped, but I agree, it wasn't conclusive from the replay; even with stop-action on an HDTV.
Meaning the call on the field stands. It appears that they didn't go far enough back on the video to be able to accurately rule on the play.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:22pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Doubt he's even a baseball umpire either. He's never once posted in the Baseball forum concerning a situation he was involved in.
Because it would be impossible to learn anything from reading about others' experiences or plays in MLB games, right [mod snip]

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 03:23pm. Reason: Personal attack
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree. The angle they showed a couple of times on tv conclusively showed space between the NT and the runner - he didn't touch him.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Meaning the call on the field stands. It appears that they didn't go far enough back on the video to be able to accurately rule on the play.
I haven't seen the replay, but you can't possibly know they didn't go back far enough. It's likely they had a different angle than you did.