The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Giants game obstruction

Who got obstruction on the SS here when Sandoval ran into him at 2nd? I didn't see the umpire signal anything in the actual game. It's hard to see in the video. It happens at 32 sec. I have obstruction and would protect Sandoval to 3rd if he needed it. Also, that bunt by Zito was just amazing.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:03am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Who got obstruction on the SS here when Sandoval ran into him at 2nd? I didn't see the umpire signal anything in the actual game. It's hard to see in the video. It happens at 32 sec. I have obstruction and would protect Sandoval to 3rd if he needed it. Also, that bunt by Zito was just amazing.

No way - no how - no place - no time.

Ball, fielder, runner arriving at basically the same time - train wreck. Remember that in the OBS rules in OBR the fielder can be in the act of fielding - he doesn't need to be in possession.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:35am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Rich...I agree somewhat as I know the fielder can't just disappear after missing a chance to field the ball. However, I would still protect Sandoval if there was a close call at third. How could you not? He was clearly impeaded in his advancement.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Rich...I agree somewhat as I know the fielder can't just disappear after missing a chance to field the ball. However, I would still protect Sandoval if there was a close call at third. How could you not? He was clearly impeaded in his advancement.
So the fielder did nothing wrong but you're going to reward the runner anyway?
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

A runner and a fielder doing what they are supposed to, play on.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

It's like a "tangle/untangle" play at the plate.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Once a fielder is no longer in the act of fielding a ball, he has an obligation to give way to the runner and not obstruct him. In the play above, he did give way immediately after the fielding attempt/contact. The contact occured during the fielding attempt. Under no circumstances is this OBS.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have OBS and neither did U2 on it. While watching the game, several replays were shown and U2 was shown in one signaling safe (and probably saying "That's nothing") immediately after the contact and well after the ball was already in centerfield. It took a lot of replays to get one with U2 in it after the contact but he definitely signaled safe after the contact.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A train wreck is a train wreck. No one gets protected or penalized. If Sandoval didn't make it to 3rd, that's too bad. I understand what you are getting at but once you rule a train wreck, those feelings have to disappear.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

OK. I understand it better now. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

What if this had been a batted ball?

And the reason I ask is because I don't have any of my authoritative interpretations handy to look it up. But I thought I recall reading somewhere that if a fielder fails to field a batted ball and ends up in the runner's path, he could be held liable for obstruction. The example, if memory serves, is when a fielder is on the ground after diving and missing a batted ball, and the runner has to jump over him.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:34pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What if this had been a batted ball?

And the reason I ask is because I don't have any of my authoritative interpretations handy to look it up. But I thought I recall reading somewhere that if a fielder fails to field a batted ball and ends up in the runner's path, he could be held liable for obstruction. The example, if memory serves, is when a fielder is on the ground after diving and missing a batted ball, and the runner has to jump over him.
Manny, can you PM me for old time's sake?
justacoach