The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
They won't worked a perfect 7-man game, but they still may be better than a 5-man crew.
Remember, the original question on this thread was about the viability of, "Using Instant Replay in State Championship Games".

Presuming quality officials (for the most part) are selected for post season contests, it seems expanding crews sizes, with appropriate instruction and concentration, offers an effective, practical and available alternative to imposing any level of Instant Reply to the High School game.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:57pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Remember, the original question on this thread was about the viability of, "Using Instant Replay in State Championship Games".

Presuming quality officials (for the most part) are selected for post season contests, it seems expanding crews sizes, with appropriate instruction and concentration, offers an effective, practical and available alternative to imposing any level of Instant Reply to the High School game.
Even officials at the highest level of any sport get calls wrong. I don't doubt though that more calls, especially like the one in the video I posted, will be called right on the field if they add more officials.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, the question relates tp the viability of Instant Replay at the High School Football level..

Although there have been significant improvements in the quality of High School football in recent years, there is no perfection in Coaching, no perfection in actual playing of the game, why would anyone expect absolute perfection in officiating.

On field officiating, with minimal exceptions, has served the game extremely well for a long period of time, and there is precious little evidence to suggest a major revision is necessary, or even widely called for. This seems lile another classic example of, "If it's not broken, don't fix it".
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again, the question relates tp the viability of Instant Replay at the High School Football level..

Although there have been significant improvements in the quality of High School football in recent years, there is no perfection in Coaching, no perfection in actual playing of the game, why would anyone expect absolute perfection in officiating.

On field officiating, with minimal exceptions, has served the game extremely well for a long period of time, and there is precious little evidence to suggest a major revision is necessary, or even widely called for. This seems lile another classic example of, "If it's not broken, don't fix it".
Unfortunately everyone expects the officials to be perfect despite the imperfection of others. A good saying: "officiating, the only avocation where you have to start perfect and then get better".

On field officiating has served the game well, but the use of replay at the higher levels along with the increased use of talk radio and social media, everyone is now an expert. Replay is good, but it creates a higher expectation of perfection.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, the question relates to the viability of Instant Replay at the High School Football level..
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 02:42pm
NFHS Official

Replay at high school level, logistically is just to hard. BTW, that was clearly a fumble in the video, and should have been a touchback.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 05:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Replay at high school level, logistically is just to hard. BTW, that was clearly a fumble in the video, and should have been a touchback.
Why is it logistically too hard? In states where games are played at a Division 1 college stadium, shouldn't the facilities already exist? I don't know all that goes into implementing an instant replay system...

As I said in the other thread...It's my opinion that replay should be used in the state championship games.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 05:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rich's point is why play the last game under different rules than the rest of the season?
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 05:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rich's point is why play the last game under different rules than the rest of the season?
Yes, I understand his point. It's not really under different rules...just that they have a better chance of ultimately getting the play right. It's the same concept as them using instant replay for last second shots in basketball. Why not use the available evidence to get it right?

Just to use the play from the game earlier as an example...that play was a huge swing in the game. It was 23-17 Red when the interception happened. After the play was erroneously ruled a touchdown, Red went for two to make it 31-17, instead of it being White ball at the 20 and down by six. It may not have mattered anyways, as red pulled away the rest of the night...but still, there's no way to predict what would have happened.

There will be a play, someday somewhere, that will be called incorrectly on the field and affect the outcome of the game.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:38pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Why is it logistically too hard? In states where games are played at a Division 1 college stadium, shouldn't the facilities already exist?
You don't really think they leave all those expensive cameras sitting around out in the elements waiting for the next game to come along, do you? And a production truck parked behind every stadium in the country?

The technical equipment sitting in the replay booth is a mere fraction of the equipment necessary to pull off replay. Most state athletic associations aren't going to go to the expense or can't afford to do it. NC plays 8 finals in 3 different stadiums. Time Warner Cable broadcasts & replays the NC games but they are only in the bigger cities. The DVD copy of my state final last year basically used two camera angles, mid-field and a handheld field camera.

As I said previously, bumping to 7 man is more practical and affordable.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
You don't really think they leave all those expensive cameras sitting around out in the elements waiting for the next game to come along, do you? And a production truck parked behind every stadium in the country?

The technical equipment sitting in the replay booth is a mere fraction of the equipment necessary to pull off replay. Most state athletic associations aren't going to go to the expense or can't afford to do it. NC plays 8 finals in 3 different stadiums. Time Warner Cable broadcasts & replays the NC games but they are only in the bigger cities. The DVD copy of my state final last year basically used two camera angles, mid-field and a handheld field camera.

As I said previously, bumping to 7 man is more practical and affordable.
I'm not an idiot. Who owns the buzzer from the booth to the referee on the field? Seems to me all they need is a broadcast with instant replay capability. Correct me if I'm wrong...seems like a plug and play kind of a thing. If you or anyone else can detail the technical side of an instant replay operation, please do so.

Obviously it would be a state by state thing, depending on how the games are broadcast, if at all.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2013, 12:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Yes, I understand his point. It's not really under different rules...just that they have a better chance of ultimately getting the play right. It's the same concept as them using instant replay for last second shots in basketball. Why not use the available evidence to get it right?

Just to use the play from the game earlier as an example...that play was a huge swing in the game. It was 23-17 Red when the interception happened. After the play was erroneously ruled a touchdown, Red went for two to make it 31-17, instead of it being White ball at the 20 and down by six. It may not have mattered anyways, as red pulled away the rest of the night...but still, there's no way to predict what would have happened.

There will be a play, someday somewhere, that will be called incorrectly on the field and affect the outcome of the game.
There already were -- in many other playoff games this year and every year. Forgive me if I don't cry me a river if a call gets missed and the wonders of instant replay don't rush in to make everything right.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2013, 01:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There already were -- in many other playoff games this year and every year. Forgive me if I don't cry me a river if a call gets missed and the wonders of instant replay don't rush in to make everything right.
Consider yourself forgiven. You have your opinion, I have mine. End of story.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2013, 03:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Once again, the question relates to the viability of Instant Replay at the High School Football level..
Threads wander. If it gets too far off the rails we'll nudge it back in that direction.

Posting the same thing over and over again doesn't help.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2013, 07:27am
Chain of Fools

How much do you think it costs?

How much do you think a state actually makes on a final?

Do you really think it wants to blow it on replay? Two cameras on the fifty and a handheld sideline camera isn't going to give you the coverage you desire.

Apparently you had some rooting interest in whatever game in WI got ruled a TD. I doubt your state wants to blow several thousands of dollars to rectify the call. Run it by them and see what they say.