Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Tough for the ball to get to the receiver when the receiver's being dragged away from the ball.
If the ball is tipped on the way to a receiver, we do not call DPI in those situations. Why is this so hard to understand in this situation?

Peace
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:51am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If the ball is tipped on the way to a receiver, we do not call DPI in those situations. Why is this so hard to understand in this situation?

Peace
Because that's not the same thing.

If you have a receiver and a defender standing next to each other and another defender comes in and tackles the receiver to the ground, do you ignore that action because the original defender now has an easy interception with the receiver on the ground behind him?
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Because that's not the same thing.

If you have a receiver and a defender standing next to each other and another defender comes in and tackles the receiver to the ground, do you ignore that action because the original defender now has an easy interception with the receiver on the ground behind him?
It is if the ball never gets there. Again, you keep wanting everyone to take on your logic and philosophy on this type of play. That is not going to happen. As I have said and others have said to you, this is commonly the philosophy at that level. If you do not want to accept that logic, then don't. I just know I would be happy if I made this call and my partners talked me off of this foul. I would also not call this if I saw the entire play. And this play is not that uncommon. There are often interceptions that are made with some kind of contact before the ball gets to the area of the so-called interference. And touching alone is not a foul. Restriction is a foul.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:36am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is if the ball never gets there. Again, you keep wanting everyone to take on your logic and philosophy on this type of play. That is not going to happen. As I have said and others have said to you, this is commonly the philosophy at that level. If you do not want to accept that logic, then don't. I just know I would be happy if I made this call and my partners talked me off of this foul. I would also not call this if I saw the entire play. And this play is not that uncommon. There are often interceptions that are made with some kind of contact before the ball gets to the area of the so-called interference. And touching alone is not a foul. Restriction is a foul.

Peace
My example is closer to what actually happened than a mere tipped pass.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 02:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My example is closer to what actually happened than a mere tipped pass.
This was not called, and I stand by my first feelings on this play. When I saw this play on replay the very first time live while watching the broadcast, I felt it was not a foul. Nothing you have said is changing that position.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't think it's even remotely possible that the receiver is able to completely stop his forward momentum and reverse his path and then make up 2 yards within the POINT THREE FOUR SECONDS that elapsed between the first conceivable instant of interference and the instant the ball was caught.
It's not...after he gets that shoulder shove! If you look at the situation just before that contact, it looks very different.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Surely the first clause of that doesn't matter, just because there's no point in preventing the interception after time expires wouldn't change the rules regarding interference. (Even though the defense now values an interception and a breakup equally.)
Ah, but the fantasy players don't!
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The philosophy I've been taught (again at the NCAA level but as JRut states likely comes from the NFL) is if a pass is underthrown and a separate player intercepts the ball, the contact behind him is ignored.
Regardless how far behind/beyond him? Or how much time between? If so, that philosophy materially changes the rule!
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Regardless how far behind/beyond him? Or how much time between? If so, that philosophy materially changes the rule!
No it doesn't. You just do not understand the philosophy. Hardly any rule does not have some kind of philosophy as to how to rule on something. Officials at the higher levels tend to understand that better than guys you work high school. High school officials often do not have the same level of training or scrutiny or accountability.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I want you guys in the "No DPI" camp on the NE/Carolina play to watch this play starting at the 4:00 mark in the video:

GameDay: Denver Broncos vs. New England Patriots highlights - NFL Videos

The Denver receiver is running a "go" route straight down the field. Talib for NE does hold the receiver, but Manning severely underthrows the ball and there is zero chance the receiver would have caught it. It gets intercepted, but they stick with the holding call.

How is this any different than last week's play? I thought if the ball was underthrown and not catchable by the offensive player and it was intercepted, they "philosophy" was to ignore the defensive penalty. When Talib catches Manning's underthrown pass he is eight yards in front of the receiver who was running the complete opposite direction.

Edit: Go to 5:20 and watch the PI no-call when the Patriots have the ball in OT also. How is that not DPI?

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 10:31am.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It gets intercepted, but they stick with the holding call.

How is this any different than last week's play?
Holding is not subject to the pass being catchable, it doesn't even require the ball to be thrown.

If a hold occurs prior to the ball being thrown, it is a hold. If it is while the ball is in the air, it is pass interference.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:39am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Edit: Go to 5:20 and watch the PI no-call when the Patriots have the ball in OT also. How is that not DPI?
I would probably have DPI on this at the level of ball I work. My guess is that they deemed the contact as incidental to the defensive play being made. Not saying I agree with that but it's my best guess.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I want you guys in the "No DPI" camp on the NE/Carolina play to watch this play starting at the 4:00 mark in the video:

GameDay: Denver Broncos vs. New England Patriots highlights - NFL Videos

The Denver receiver is running a "go" route straight down the field. Talib for NE does hold the receiver, but Manning severely underthrows the ball and there is zero chance the receiver would have caught it. It gets intercepted, but they stick with the holding call.

How is this any different than last week's play? I thought if the ball was underthrown and not catchable by the offensive player and it was intercepted, they "philosophy" was to ignore the defensive penalty. When Talib catches Manning's underthrown pass he is eight yards in front of the receiver who was running the complete opposite direction.

The first play in question has nothing to do with the play we are discussing in this thread. The play you are showing is a clear hold for a jersey grab that clearly restricts the movement of the receiver to go up field. The legs of the receiver clearly are stopped or altered in order to keep the defender in an advantageous position. And that is why it was called. The Gronk play had no restriction in the movement if you look at his legs. He did not change direction or stopped completely. If no arms were around Gronk, you would not even think to call a foul. That is why that play is not the same as the play last week.

The second play to me is just a miss. Just like there was a miss on an earlier play in that game, it is another miss. That play has nothing to do with we are talking about on any level. I do not know what level you work, but with better athletes there are times when a play happens so fast you are not completely sure and you do not call anything (which most supervisors want). They would rather have you miss a tight play than call something that clearly was not there. Many high school and lower level officials thank every time there is some contact we have to have something. There is contact in football and this was just a close play to rule on. We do not always get them right, it is OK.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I would probably have DPI on this at the level of ball I work. My guess is that they deemed the contact as incidental to the defensive play being made. Not saying I agree with that but it's my best guess.
I think it is a miss. Just like it was a miss when they let Brady run all over the field screaming at everyone afterwards.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 11:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think it is a miss. Just like it was a miss when they let Brady run all over the field screaming at everyone afterwards.
Agree on both points.