The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:43am
In Memoriam

I read with interest Mr. Rich Graham's thread below.Unfortunately,the thread was closed and I was unable to comment on it there.

If you are unsure of what Mr. Graham is talking about,here is the original thread:
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=5883

Please note that:
1)Mr. Graham supported the gentleman charged with assaulting an official.
2)Mr. Graham was black-listed by Chicago area assignors for his despicable actions.

The gentleman, Mr. Louis Trench, charged with assaulting the young official was convicted of that crime. For details:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ref31.html
http://www.starnewspapers.com/star/s...all/03-ez2.htm

The only thing that I found appropriate in Mr. Graham's posting below is the statement "Some of us should be ashamed of ourselves".

And so you should,Mr. Graham,so you should!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 7th, 2003 at 09:59 AM]
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Mr. Graham embarassed himself on this and other boards last year. Then, when he got in toruble with his assignors, he went back and deleted his posts. Unfortuanately, he could delete them from every board that he posted on, and I posted links in the last reply in the original thread.

It's amazing that he's come back for more.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

3rd year official? That's his bona fides?

That's what I hate about youth football. You'll have the coaches yelling, and the parents yelling - and the kids will be standing next to you rolling their eyes in embarrassment because they know that the behavior of the 'grown ups' is inappropriate. They want to play some football and go get some ice cream - it's not some life or death struggle to them.

I'll often say to a youth player amid the screams and tantrums, "You and I are the only ones who are having fun." Sometimes, some kids tell me they don't even want to be out there - they hate football, but their father is making them play.

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Sometimes, some kids tell me they don't even want to be out there - they hate football, but their father is making them play.

That statement, in a nutshell, is why I quit working pee-wee football games.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I call youth football as a source of income during the season and in hope that I can make a positive difference. I doubt I will ever let my sons play, for fear of the bad habits, poor sportsmanship, and language that they would pick up from the parents and coaches. It is unfortunate, but my boys will play soccer until they get to middle school.

It's coaches like the one convicted and back-stabbing officials like Mr. Graham that allow the game to deteriorate into something that only vaguely resembles the sport I love. When I walk out on the field, it is easy for me to find my friends, as they are the only other ones wearing the black and white stripes. Whether I agree with them or not, we have to take care of each other because if we don't, no one will. I have no room either on my crew or on a field for officials who suck up to coaches and string up their fellow officials. Mr. Graham sold his soul, and is now reaping the benefits of his labor. I hope he never gets another game.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I have no room either on my crew or on a field for officials who suck up to coaches and string up their fellow officials.
Sleeper,

Good point about other officials trying to be buddies with the coaches. It almost always gets us in trouble, because who does the coach go to when he thinks we screwed up. His "official" buddy who then needs to take sides and intervenes on the call. I've had some older officials do this and it's not comfortable and hurts the crew.

The guy that "works" his coaching buddy needs to decide whether he's part of the crew or not, otherwise he's fence sitting. You can't have it both ways!

Don't get me wrong, those of us who have worked for a few years may establish relationships with coaches, but while on the field we need to maintain a professional demeanor and conduct business.

Beers and pizza after the game are your call.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question And you know this bec....aa.uuusse

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Please note that:

2)Mr. Graham was black-listed by Chicago area assignors for his despicable actions.
I would really like to know how you seem to know this? Considering that I have never heard of this individual and do not know what association he belongs to, I think unless you have some proof it is really not right to make that claim. Because the "Chicago Assignors" might not put in on the "perferred list," but to suggest that he was black-listed over is a stretch at best. I did look up this individual and he is only an X official (registered, lowest ranking). This means that he is not really elgible for a playoff game, he probably is not on a regular varsity crew (that is a guess but typical of his ranking) and is probably but not even a regular IHSA official. Just because you have a license, does not mean you are doing many games.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

What did I miss here?

I'm confused. I clicked on the link but didn't see any post from Telegrahams. Has he put a new post up here recently or are you referring to his drivel from last fall?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:20pm
In Memoriam

Re: What did I miss here?

Quote:
Originally posted by jemoore
I'm confused. I clicked on the link but didn't see any post from Telegrahams. Has he put a new post up here recently or are you referring to his drivel from last fall?
Mr. Graham posted last night. He has since deleted the post.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

What did he have to say?

In his post last night...what did he have to say? Anybody got a copy of it?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

re: Mr. Graham

Anyone have a copy of what he posted?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:26pm
In Memoriam

Re: I know this bec....aa.uuusse

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Please note that:

I would really like to know how you seem to know this?
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...3&pagenumber=2

See comment by "Old Ref" in bottom post on this page. He is one of 10 assigners,who he says,blackballed Mr. Graham and the other 3 officials that worked in the league.I believe him. If you don't,that is your perogative.

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

What was the post?

What was the text of the post Graham put up last night and then deleted. Does anyone have it or a summary of it?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:35pm
In Memoriam

Re: What was the post?

Quote:
Originally posted by jemoore
What was the text of the post Graham put up last night and then deleted. Does anyone have it or a summary of it?
He was just intimating again that the official who laid the charge was somehow responsible,or equally responsible for the whole mess.Same old crap as he posted last year.He closed the thread right after he made it,so nobody could respond.That's why I started a new thread.He must have deleted his original thread after I posted mine.I have no idea why he decided to come out of the woodwork all of a sudden,and start all over again.

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

He doesn't seem stable.

He certainly is without explanation. He appears to be very unstable. As far as coming out of the woodwork...don't most cockroaches do that?