The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:51am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
There's the basis of the Public Intimidation charges. They're claiming that the officials threatened to have them fired by involving those higher on the totem pole. What a load.
If that last article is accurate, every officer involved should be fired. Unfortunately they're not personally liable.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I hate this part of the press release:

It is their goal to be as invisible as possible so that the game and the teams are the only focus.

No. That is not the goal of officials.
I totally agree. We are not going to be invisible even if we do not throw our flag or blow our whistle. We can be noticed because of what we do not call in certain moments in the game. This is an old and silly standard that does not work in this day an age of social media and phone camera video.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
There's the basis of the Public Intimidation charges. They're claiming that the officials threatened to have them fired by involving those higher on the totem pole. What a load.
So, the official was actually doing as we suggested and going to game management. This makes the arrest 100 times worse, IMO.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I totally agree. We are not going to be invisible even if we do not throw our flag or blow our whistle. We can be noticed because of what we do not call in certain moments in the game. This is an old and silly standard that does not work in this day an age of social media and phone camera video.

Peace
Was it ever an actual standard? Or was it always what it is now, a made up standard from people who don't know anything about officiating?
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Was it ever an actual standard? Or was it always what it is now, a made up standard from people who don't know anything about officiating?
I cannot answer from where the standard came from, but I have heard a lot of official claim being "unseen" or not noticed is a great thing. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case for many. It just is ridiculous when you consider all the times we come under scrutiny and we are simply doing our job.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 01:55pm

Quote:
I hate this part of the press release:

It is their goal to be as invisible as possible so that the game and the teams are the only focus.

No. That is not the goal of officials.
If my choices are to be: 1) as visible as possible, or 2) as invisible as possible ... I'm choosing #2. It is a goal. Mind you, it's not the only one nor the most important one. But, if we have a choice in the matter, choosing to be less inconspicuous is a solid choice, IMO.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
If my choices are to be: 1) as visible as possible, or 2) as invisible as possible ... I'm choosing #2. It is a goal. Mind you, it's not the only one nor the most important one. But, if we have a choice in the matter, choosing to be less inconspicuous is a solid choice, IMO.
If you are motivated at ALL by whether you are visible or invisible, they your motivation is flawed. Being either is not a goal. Our visibility, high or low, is a variable completely unrelated to whether we called a good game or not. No offense, but if you ever, even once, make a decision on the field based on a choice to be inconspicuous, then frankly you shouldn't be out there at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot answer from where the standard came from, but I have heard a lot of official claim being "unseen" or not noticed is a great thing. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case for many. It just is ridiculous when you consider all the times we come under scrutiny and we are simply doing our job.

Peace
Must be poor training in your area, I've not heard it from varsity officials here.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:27pm

Quote:
If you are motivated at ALL by whether you are visible or invisible, they your motivation is flawed. Being either is not a goal. Our visibility, high or low, is a variable completely unrelated to whether we called a good game or not. No offense, but if you ever, even once, make a decision on the field based on a choice to be inconspicuous, then frankly you shouldn't be out there at all.
I completely agree with you from a "making calls" standpoint. My thought was the release from the New Orleans officials group was trying to make the point the officials were not trying to be gregarious and draw attention to themselves. That's where I'm coming from with regard to visibility vs. invisibility.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I agree, it shouldn't even be a consideration. Anyone who has any desire one way or the other with regard to visibility needs to reassess the goals.

Don't do things to be noticed. Don't do things to avoid being noticed. Just do what needs to get done.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I completely agree with you from a "making calls" standpoint. My thought was the release from the New Orleans officials group was trying to make the point the officials were not trying to be gregarious and draw attention to themselves. That's where I'm coming from with regard to visibility vs. invisibility.
Even outside of making calls, though, it shouldn't be a concern either way. For example, the official indicated he was going to talk to game management; that's the right thing to do whether it draws extra attention or not. Moving people off the sideline is the right thing to do.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that trying to be visible is not a goal. Where you went off the rails, imho, is stating that trying to be invisible IS a goal.

No goal should include visibility vs invisibility in it at all. It's a by product.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Any one able to find out any more info, like the court booking document.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe the new chief will be sufficiently embarrassed that he cleans house.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

NASO Supports New Orleans Football Officials

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith