The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 12:51am
In Time Out

Two Officials Arrested During HS Football Game

WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports - 2 Referees Arrested At Covington Prep Football Game

Is there rule support for the officials' actions?
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

The officiating crew came ask game management to remove anyone who is interfering with the proper administration of the game. However, ejecting a police officer is a little over the top.

This story seems a little far fetched to me. Why would the first official be arrested for simply asking the officer to move the crowd back? I think there's more to this.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:42am
Chain of Fools

On paper, yes.

In reality, no.

I would hope that an official would have more sense than to enter into a heated argument with a law enforcement officer. In the end, just like any other citizen, we are going to lose in the end. We need them way more than they ever need us.

Really odd.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

As with any situation where there is a dispute between me and someone else also hired by my boss/manager/person-paying-me, and I couldn't resolve it amicably with the other party, I would bring the matter to the attention of my boss/manager/person-paying-me.

That person is ultimately the person in charge of the event and gets to make the decision of what to do.
Hopefully, he'll instruct the cop to keep the fans to the restraining line, since that's the boundary adopted by the league for where the field (and my authority) begins and ends. If management wants fans standing on the chalk of the sideline, fine. I'll pack my crew up and report the suspended game to the state association.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

It's been several years ago but I had a uniformed officer making comments about the officiating from his crowd control position near the corner of one end zone. I told the AD that I no longer felt it safe for my crew to officiate if our security was going to berate the officials. About 10 minutes later that officer was repositioned and after the game the chief of police came to the locker room to apologize and ask if we'd like to file a formal complaint. We declined.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:44am
AremRed

Were they arrested and taken away during the game? How did the game continue with only 3 officials? This article needs more information!
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:48am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
This article needs more information!
Typical of today's news media.

Quote:
the chief of police came to the locker room to apologize and ask if we'd like to file a formal complaint. We declined.
Very wise.

Most LEO's I have found to very helpful and cooperative over the years. There is the odd duck who wants to be chummy with the crowd. Those are usually the local, GOB, deputy who doesn't take his job very seriously in total.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 02:52pm
In Time Out

Police: Two referees arrested at Mandeville-St. Paul's game | wwltv.com New Orleans
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 03:26pm
In Time Out

From the police version of what happened, at least one officer looks like a prick. "You do your job and I'll do mine" is not an appropriate response to being told you're not properly doing your job by the person who's ultimately responsible.

Granted the officials could have taken a much better approach. None of what's been reported would appear to justify an arrest.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
From the police version of what happened, at least one officer looks like a prick. "You do your job and I'll do mine" is not an appropriate response to being told you're not properly doing your job by the person who's ultimately responsible.

Granted the officials could have taken a much better approach. None of what's been reported would appear to justify an arrest.
The rest of the story!

Two football officials released from jail after arrests at Mandeville-St. Paul's game

""While I was being detained, I found out that the (arresting) policeman's son plays on the Mandeville football team and the spectators were his friends," Radcliff said."

That about sums it up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:29pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The rest of the story!

Two football officials released from jail after arrests at Mandeville-St. Paul's game

""While I was being detained, I found out that the (arresting) policeman's son plays on the Mandeville football team and the spectators were his friends," Radcliff said."

That about sums it up.
Sounds like an easy lawsuit to win, if that's true.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:04am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Sounds like an easy lawsuit to win, if that's true.
No way they'll win a judgment. Defense will settle, and it will never see a courtroom.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

bad use of authority

instead of trying to throw the police out of the game could they have just not allowed the game to continue until the fans moved? then talk to the coaches and have them exert pressure on the fans.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianr View Post
instead of trying to throw the police out of the game could they have just not allowed the game to continue until the fans moved? then talk to the coaches and have them exert pressure on the fans.
If the officers were a problem, then I am not continuing until they either correct the situation or until game management speaks to them. And trust me then the police cannot arrest anyone and they are the reason the game is held up. Trust me, then the problem would be solved at that time.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If the officers were a problem, then I am not continuing until they either correct the situation or until game management speaks to them. And trust me then the police cannot arrest anyone and they are the reason the game is held up. Trust me, then the problem would be solved at that time.

Peace
Exactly. After the officer informed the WH that he was going to start cuffing if anyone said another word, I'd walk away, call both coaches in and let them know we aren't continuing until the sideline is cleared.

Now, these officials have an arrest record to account for (it would require extra paperwork here in Colorado due to the new required "arrest report" that must be submitted to the state).