The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 02:03pm
I Bleed Crimson

Kentucky high schools told no more postgame handshakes

Kentucky's athletic sanctioning body has ordered high schools not to conduct postgame handshakes in all sports following more than two dozen physical confrontations the past three years.

Tuesday's directive from Kentucky High School Athletic Association Commissioner Julian Tackett posted on its web site didn't mention specific fights or conflicts but said several fall sports have had postgame incidents. The organization says it's "disappointing" to take such action but that it became necessary because of occurrences statewide and nationally.

KHSAA has also instructed game officials to immediately leave facilities after contests or risk being penalized.
Kentucky high schools told no more postgame handshakes | Fox News

I know the article isn't football specific. But to relate it to football, usually we book it off the field right after the game. But the bolded portion above is what gets me.

"[R]isk being penalized"???
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

KHSAA statement

And this has already been discussed or being discussed on the basketball side. Seems like the media as usual speaks about things they have little knowledge about or cannot simply ask the very people that make the decisions.

As expected, it is Wednesday.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
KHSAA has also instructed game officials to immediately leave facilities after contests or risk being penalized.
I know the article isn't football specific. But to relate it to football, usually we book it off the field right after the game. But the bolded portion above is what gets me.

Possibly they meant "penalized" as in "socked in the jaw".
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 03:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's possible they've had a rash of officials move in from Mass. and think they need to supervise the handshakes.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 03:15pm
I Bleed Crimson

What I find encouraging from the KHSAA's statement:
Secondly, and just as critical, don’t expect the officials to police this time period. That has NEVER been the officials’ job at the high school level, and shouldn’t be now.
I was discussing this article elsewhere, and somebody chimed in with "Where are the officials when all this is happening?"
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 04:45pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Kentucky's athletic sanctioning body has ordered high schools not to conduct postgame handshakes in all sports following more than two dozen physical confrontations the past three years.

Tuesday's directive from Kentucky High School Athletic Association Commissioner Julian Tackett posted on its web site didn't mention specific fights or conflicts but said several fall sports have had postgame incidents. The organization says it's "disappointing" to take such action but that it became necessary because of occurrences statewide and nationally.

Kentucky high schools told no more postgame handshakes | Fox News

Throw a flag on the officials for delay of exiting?
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 05:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
Throw a flag on the officials for delay of exiting?
Likely they would just pull post season assignments.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 05:27pm
Never Stop Learning

So rather then penalizing the players, coaches, and an other people that are involved in these incidents let's just throw sportsmanship out the window. I was under the impression we were also teaching life lessons. We must be in the 21st century.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 05:30pm.