Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches consider ban on postgame handshakes

The Greenville News (South Carolina)
February 26, 2010 Friday

HEADLINE: Coaches consider ban on postgame handshakes

BYLINE: Paul Alongi, Scott Keepfer and Ron Barnett
Staff writers

High school coaches and administrators across the Upstate are questioning whether they should continue the longstanding tradition of having players from opposing teams shake hands after games.

Greer High coach Jeff Neely and Principal Marion Waters began the soul-searching the day after a fight erupted on Southside High's basketball court as players shook hands in the wake of the Tigers' victory over previously undefeated Abbeville High.

"We want to be proactive on this stuff; we need to think about it," Neely said. "We don't want this to ever happen here."

Greenville County sheriff's investigators have opened a probe into Wednesday night's brawl to see if anyone should be charged with disturbing schools, which carries up to 90 days in jail for those convicted, Master Deputy Melissia McKinney said.

Students involved also could face suspension or expulsion from school. Players could be suspended from sports by the South Carolina High School League.

The fight couldn't have come at a worse time for Southside, whose 61-55 victory ended Abbeville's season. The Tigers are due to play Keenan for the Upper State title at the Bi-Lo Center at 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

The Greenville County school district is taking statements and reviewing videos of the incident as well as gathering information from law enforcement officials "to determine exactly what took place and who was involved," district spokesman Oby Lyles said.

"We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions," he said. "We're going to hold those accountable who need to be held accountable. But people shouldn't look at an issue and take a broad-brushed approach."

Eight Abbeville High students were suspended as a result of their part in the incident, said James B. Tisdale, chairman of the Abbeville County school board.

"I don't know who started it, but I do know we expect our students to behave appropriately and not to engage in inappropriate behavior, especially not unsportsmanlike behavior," he said. "Win, lose or draw, you do your best and then leave it at that."

South Carolina High School League executive director Jerome Singleton said Thursday night he still was gathering facts and that no decision has been made on potential sanctions.

Of particular concern to Greenville school district officials is the number of people who came out of the stands and onto the basketball court during the melee, which Lyles said lasted 30-40 seconds.

Two school enforcement investigators with the Sheriff's Office are trying to establish who was primarily responsible for instigating the fight, McKinney said. They also want to know what happened and why, McKinney said.

"The difficulty with this is that there are so many people who were involved in this incident," she said.

The probe includes interviews with players, coaches and fans, McKinney said. Investigators also are trying to review video, including some from surveillance cameras.

Ripples from the fight could last into July if postgame handshakes come up at the annual coaches' clinic. However, some coaches weren't waiting to evaluate the tradition.

Neely said his initial reaction was to eliminate it.

"Maybe we ought to have pre-game handshakes," he said. "It's sad that we're thinking about doing away with it - it's sportsmanship - but if it prevents something bad from happening it would be worth it. Maybe it's a reflection on our society."

Some coaches said they have occasionally skipped the handshake after sensing tension during games but haven't gone so far as to ban the practice all season.

Doing away with the practice would bother Greenville High coach Dondi McGowan.

"Every opportunity you have with a child is a teaching moment," McGowan said. "Everybody loves sports and when you're playing emotions are high and the competitive juices are flowing. But there are more important things in life, and we try to teach kids to keep things in perspective."

Fran Campbell, whose teams at Wren High have participated in postgame handshakes for each of his 27 seasons, said he has played games against opponents from states where the practice had been banned. He would hate to see the same occur here.

"It gives the kids a chance to show sportsmanship, class and respect," Campbell said. "They're going to have to learn how to handle adversity, so I would hate to lose it personally. But I do think this is going to at least bring about some serious debate."

Bob Castello contributed to this report.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have further information on this situation or the incident?

Any video that we can watch?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here are my two take away points:
1. The unknown number of spectator's on the floor. Maybe they had more to do with it then the team handshake.
2. If you want to be proactive and teach kids, then let them know that inappropriate behavior after the game will result in a suspension.
But then again setting positive and appropriate behavioral expectations may be to passe'
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 10:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When my son played 8th grade rec, after the game his team and the other teams would always get in line and slap hands as they walked by each other. This was pretty standard at every game. The other teams would almost always say, "good game, good game, good game, etc." as they slapped hands. My son's team would say, "you suck, you suck, you suck, etc." All the boys pretty much knew each other and the other teams always knew it was a joke. In fact, they usually laughed as it happened.

Oh yeah, he also suggested they have their team party at Hooters. That was fine by me, but the moms, including my wife, objected. Darn it.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Handshake Lines' Value Up For Debate

Lori Riley
Hartford Courant
February 28, 2010

In a three-week span in January and February, there were two incidents in the state involving basketball postgame handshake lines.

At Windsor High on Jan. 26, the Berlin and Windsor girls played a close, heated game. Berlin won 52-51 after a player hit a three-pointer to send the game into overtime and another hit a three at the buzzer to win it. After the game, words were exchanged and there was some pushing in the line. Windsor officials separated the teams; two unidentified Windsor players were suspended.

On Feb. 12, another incident erupted after the Rocky Hill and Fermi boys game, which Rocky Hill won, 54-53. Again, there were words and shoving in the line and this time, the parents got involved in the resulting melee. Four adults were arrested.

Obviously, lack of sportsmanship coupled with parental overinvolvement in sports are two of the main problems here. But what about this particular postgame ritual, which often throws competitors together for a face-to-face confrontation before either team has had a chance to cool off?

They give athletes a cooling-off period before they speak to reporters to collect themselves. Why not the same for the handshake line?

Or taking it a step further, some say why not abolish the postgame handshake or do it before the game? Some argue it's a contrived situation that, in a rare instance, could potentially turn volatile. If a player wants to congratulate an opponent, they will find that person and do it.

"At the end of the game, you've got both teams there, the refs have left," Rocky Hill girls basketball coach Pete Egan said. "The ones that lost are still mad, the ones that won are still gloating. It's like a match waiting to be lit."

Some years ago, Egan took a coaching class taught by St. Joseph athletic director Bill Cardarelli. Risk management at games was one of the topics. Egan brought up the handshake line and its necessity. He was roundly criticized.

"They looked at me as not wanting to teach sportsmanship, not being sportsmanlike," Egan said. "This is a matter of taking them out of harm's way.

"I thought it's been a risky situation for a long time. I know I'm alone on this, but I still believe it. I don't see what it has to do with sportsmanship. There's no sincerity going through the line. Especially in rivalries."

After the Windsor-Berlin incident, The Day of New London columnist Mike DiMauro wrote: "But by all means, let's continue the handshake line charade. It has everything we seem to like nowadays: It looks good and means nothing."

Of course, most people, especially people who have been involved in sports for a long time, would disagree.

Former Middletown athletic director Fred Balsamo, now the executive director of the Connecticut Association of Athletic Directors, was adamant about the need for handshake lines, which he believes teach self-control and respect for an opponent.

"Handshake lines are a true act of sportsmanship, especially after a heated and emotional contest," he said. "If we can't teach our kids and coaches that that's an important part of the game, we shouldn't be in this business.

"When you add up the hundreds of thousands of athletic games at all levels and how many thousands and millions of handshakes go on — to change our practice because of two or three people is ridiculous. We need to re-emphasize that the handshake line is not a way to shoot your mouth off, it's a closure to the game. We are acknowledging to our opponent that it's over, there are no hard feelings, we're moving on from here. It's happening well most of them time."

Then the question becomes, who should monitor the line?

In Massachusetts, officials are now required by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association to monitor the handshake line and even to participate in it, if they feel comfortable.

The basketball officials initially balked. Concerned for their safety, they went to court to stop the ruling but the judge ruled in favor of the MIAA.

The problem is that the officials have no authority once the buzzer goes off.

"We are sitting ducks," said Larry Marchione, an official and member of the executive committee at-large of Mass. Board IAABO 208. "We're supposed to stand there and observe the handshake. Their hope is that we will participate."

Marchione now only officiates at middle school, freshman and junior varsity games, where he said the rule is not enforced.

"Kids will find kids who they want to congratulate," Marchione said. "I don't feel it should be a forced requirement."

The CIAC has recently made a renewed emphasis on sportsmanship. Schools are being assessed for their sportsmanship. Officials actively try to head off unsportsmanlike behavior before it happens. One change the Central Connecticut Board 6 officials have made is that both coaches and captains meet with officials to go over protocol before the games, instead of just the captains.

The bottom line is that the handshake line is now an integral part of high school athletics and schools need to keep on top of it. Only a few instances have become public, but there are certainly more minor incidents that haven't.

"I think we do a good job," Mercy girls basketball coach Tim Kohs said. "Our coaches are on top of the kids all the time for acting properly.

"I don't think you abolish it. There are a million games played. I can see if it's a chronic problem, if there's a fistfight after every game. But I think the positive outweighs the negative."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Why not do a pre-game handshake?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think they're doing a good thing by reviewing it. My guess, some suit&tie is going to get wind of what they do in MA, bring it up in a meeting, and everyone but the officials are going to think it's a terrific idea.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:23am
Esteemed Participant

So in the OP, the Visiting team - who lost - has already suspended 8 players for their involvement in the "incident", while the Home team - who won and plays for the Upstate Title on Saturday - is "still investigating" and doesn't want anyone to "use too broad of a brush".

Could this maybe be the reason why we continue to see these types of "incidents" around the country? The school that has a chance to play for the title has not taken any action, and probably will not until after their game on Saturday. That sends a louder, clearer message to the young adult athletes involved than any lectures from the coaches and AD's ever will.

Nail those players who were involved - from both teams - and let others in the area see what happens when you want to pull this type of crap. It will clean up quickly.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Rocky -- stick by your guns if this is the route taken.

You don't let the rotten apples spoil the whole lot. If you (i.e. administrators) are out to teach the kids something, don't back off of that goal.

That said, 1) there must be a cooling off period -- even 30-60 seconds after the horn, 2) coaches must use it to refocus the players, especially if it was a tight game and / or there are loose cannons in the huddle, 3) remind the players all along that this is a stipulation of participation and that suspensions will come swiftly for anyone who goes looking for one.

There have to be precautions taken. Kids will be kids and they often (usually?) won't take a long view on their actions. Hammering home that there will be repercussions is important. And coaches/administrators performing a little "team management" (i.e. who's liable to act up?) before during and after these teaching moments is critical.

Maybe it was seeing the Oly hockey tourney and the handshake lines afterward that got the juices flowing on this one. But to see that happen -- I remember the Amesparents herding us kids into the room after a Stanley Cup finale to show what sportsmanship meant -- reminds that it's a worthy goal. Perhaps speaking more as a parent now than anything.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Video

Here is a link to a tv stations report on the brawl with decent video. There doesn't seem to be any video of the start of the incident.

Clip Syndicate Video: South Carolina News
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Agree with Rocky -- stick by your guns if this is the route taken.

You don't let the rotten apples spoil the whole lot. If you (i.e. administrators) are out to teach the kids something, don't back off of that goal.

That said, 1) there must be a cooling off period -- even 30-60 seconds after the horn, 2) coaches must use it to refocus the players, especially if it was a tight game and / or there are loose cannons in the huddle, 3) remind the players all along that this is a stipulation of participation and that suspensions will come swiftly for anyone who goes looking for one.

There have to be precautions taken. Kids will be kids and they often (usually?) won't take a long view on their actions. Hammering home that there will be repercussions is important. And coaches/administrators performing a little "team management" (i.e. who's liable to act up?) before during and after these teaching moments is critical.

Maybe it was seeing the Oly hockey tourney and the handshake lines afterward that got the juices flowing on this one. But to see that happen -- I remember the Amesparents herding us kids into the room after a Stanley Cup finale to show what sportsmanship meant -- reminds that it's a worthy goal. Perhaps speaking more as a parent now than anything.
I wouldn't use the Olympic handshake line as an example -- I noticed the officials staying and observing those.

Let's face it -- I would have little problem with staying if (1) coaches were punished severely if they even said something to the officials after the final horn and (2) no fans were around. Since (1) is unlikely and (2) is impossible, then forget it. Horn goes, I leave. End of story.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If they want to be "proactive" in making sure nothing like this ever happens again maybe they should do a better job of teaching sportsmanship to their players?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

How hard would it be for the Coaching staffs to lead their teams to the post game handshake, then step back facing each other so that the student pass between them while shaking their opponent's hands.
..............c ac
..............**********
..............ac c

The players know they are being observed by their respective coaching staff and that any inappropriate activities will be observed and dealt with. The NFHS Coach's "Code of Ethics" states that it is the coach's responsibility to address "sportsmanship" with their teams. Coaches could institute this policy themselves or a State association could formalize the procedure and the responsibility
Just leave the referees out of it.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 02:09pm
Huck Finn

I think having the coaches right there as the players shake hands and having a 1 minute cooling off period are both good ideas. However, they both place the sportsmanship responsibility on the coaches and we know how that goes.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think having the coaches right there as the players shake hands and having a 1 minute cooling off period are both good ideas. However, they both place the sportsmanship responsibility on the coaches and we know how that goes.
But, hey, if we're not there -- and we should not be because this isn't part of the game any more -- then the schools can do their teaching / good sportsmanship / good PR thing to their hearts' content. It's the administrators, ADs or school districts who institute this so let them oversee it.

(Now, to bend back the other way a bit, seeing that video clip reminds that the places that might need the lessons this all teaches the most might not have the security or crowd control needed to make it work. At least with football, hockey and even baseball, there are barriers between fans and the players.)