The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ref positioning prior to snap.

I've been taught to position myself as the R between 12-15 yds from the line of scrimmage and even with the tackle on the throwing arm side of the qb.

Our state observers have been observing games so far this and just recently published a list of the most common things they saw, both good and bad. The one that caught my attention was that the Referee was positioned to deep. I thought I would look at the Official's Manual to see what it said and can't seem to find anything about the position once the team has setup in formation. The only thing I saw was the position R should be in when the ready for play is blown.

Can anyone point me to someplace that specifies what that position should be by the mechanics manual or rule book?
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji07 View Post
I've been taught to position myself as the R between 12-15 yds from the line of scrimmage and even with the tackle on the throwing arm side of the qb.

Our state observers have been observing games so far this and just recently published a list of the most common things they saw, both good and bad. The one that caught my attention was that the Referee was positioned to deep. I thought I would look at the Official's Manual to see what it said and can't seem to find anything about the position once the team has setup in formation. The only thing I saw was the position R should be in when the ready for play is blown.

Can anyone point me to someplace that specifies what that position should be by the mechanics manual or rule book?
I'm always 13-15 yards deep. Local expectations may vary.

I think you're not wide enough, myself. I position myself a couple of yards wider than the tight end on the passing arm side.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:11pm
Medium Kahuna

NFHS manual has the R 10 yds off the LOS and 5 yds wide (p. 35). The R is not moving much once the team sets, so pre-snap and snap positions are the same.

Some states have other mechanics: for instance, Ohio's Gold Book puts the R 15 yds deep and 8 yds wide on the wide side of the field (with variations for goalline and reverse goalline mechanics).
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
NFHS manual has the R 10 yds off the LOS and 5 yds wide (p. 35). The R is not moving much once the team sets, so pre-snap and snap positions are the same.

Some states have other mechanics: for instance, Ohio's Gold Book puts the R 15 yds deep and 8 yds wide on the wide side of the field (with variations for goalline and reverse goalline mechanics).
If that's the current NFHS teaching, it's a recipe for putting the R in the way.

My eyes work just as well from 15 yards and wider. And I can hold that position on most pass plays -- from 10/5, I'd be backing out on every pass play.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

We have our own mechanics manual, and of course use NCAA rules, but we're moving backward and to the right (or left, in case of left handed QB). I'm actually out toward a slot receiver and I like the position a LOT better. I feel like I have a better view of everything from the snap to the tackle, to the back.

I start 15 back on a passing team, but might move up a little on a running team. I seem to take a place 14 yards back as a default or natural position.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 04:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
We have our own mechanics manual, and of course use NCAA rules, but we're moving backward and to the right (or left, in case of left handed QB). I'm actually out toward a slot receiver and I like the position a LOT better. I feel like I have a better view of everything from the snap to the tackle, to the back.

I start 15 back on a passing team, but might move up a little on a running team. I seem to take a place 14 yards back as a default or natural position.
Exactly. I like the fact that I can officiate and not spend most of my time worrying about getting sucked up into the play or scurrying out of the way.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've always understood specific mechanics to be recommendations, based on extensive research, input and experience that are intended to serve as suggested and appropriate guidelines, rather than rigid requirements.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 04:19pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Exactly. I like the fact that I can officiate and not spend most of my time worrying about getting sucked up into the play or scurrying out of the way.
Lazy Referees... just wanting to "officiate" and not "worrying about getting sucked up into the play or scurrying out of the way." Meanwhile, the Umpire has to do both...
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 04:36pm
Official & ***** Member

12-15 deep & no closer than 5 to the deepest back.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 05:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Lazy Referees... just wanting to "officiate" and not "worrying about getting sucked up into the play or scurrying out of the way." Meanwhile, the Umpire has to do both...
Only because they haven't figured out (in 5-man) a better place to put the umpire.

I've seen two umpires get injured this year through no fault of their own. There's gotta be a better way to officiate without putting officials at such risk.