The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Hurdling (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96175-hurdling.html)

Robert Goodman Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe (Post 906600)
I'm not sure that any of the subsequent commenters actually watched the latest video.

I can't watch streams at all, and I don't think YouTube has any way to download the videos, it just serves streams.

Robert Goodman Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 906575)
Honestly, you'll need to ask the coaches who make the rules. But my guess is it has a lot to do with the neck injuries sustained by players who attempt and fail to hurdle their opponents.

I just saw something in a coaching thread about a player jumping over a teammate that got me thinking: If the rule is primarily to protect the would-be hurdler, why did they apply it only to attempts to hurdle an opponent, rather than any person? (BTW, it would be hilarious to see an attempt to hurdle an official.)

Suudy Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 906623)
I can't watch streams at all, and I don't think YouTube has any way to download the videos, it just serves streams.

There are tricks to do it. Just requires some technical know-how.

And it's not legal. ;)

Adam Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 906627)
I just saw something in a coaching thread about a player jumping over a teammate that got me thinking: If the rule is primarily to protect the would-be hurdler, why did they apply it only to attempts to hurdle an opponent, rather than any person? (BTW, it would be hilarious to see an attempt to hurdle an official.)

My guess, because players typically don't try to hurdle teammates.. They just tell them to get out of the way. I doubt that much thought went into the wording of the rule.

HLin NC Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:23pm

Real Networks has the capability to download most any web based video.
There used to be a "YouTube downloader" program out there but the last time my laptop got serviced, the tech advised getting it off there along with limewire, P2P, and Sopcast (NFL) so I went with his suggestion.

asdf Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 906627)

An opponent is going to try to tackle the hurdler. That puts him in a dangerous position. A teammate isn't going to react the same way an opponent is.

Robert Goodman Wed Oct 02, 2013 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 906640)
An opponent is going to try to tackle the hurdler. That puts him in a dangerous position. A teammate isn't going to react the same way an opponent is.

I would imagine the teammate to be in even a more dangerous position, i.e. being approached from behind, where he can't see him coming. But it would seem the danger to the hurdler of being spilled on his head would be the same.

asdf Wed Oct 02, 2013 09:33pm

You asked why the rules committee wrote the rule as it currently is and i gave you the answer. The potential for a serious neck injury is much greater from the front than from the rear.

Also, the next time I see a runner hurdle one of his teammates will be the first time I see that. I've seen hurdling a defender plenty of times.

Robert Goodman Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 906676)
You asked why the rules committee wrote the rule as it currently is and i gave you the answer. The potential for a serious neck injury is much greater from the front than from the rear.

Unless the player injured was trying to use the head as a weapon by presenting it top first, that's not true. The risk of serious neck injury is far greater from flexion than from dorsiflexion. Dorsiflexion is what results from the head's being bent back, i.e. a front hit, while flexion results from the head's being bent forward, i.e. a hit on the back of the head.

asdf Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26pm

For the subject at hand, hurdling, the risk is greater from the front as that's where the contact will me made on the hurdle.

Adam Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 906692)
Unless the player injured was trying to use the head as a weapon by presenting it top first, that's not true. The risk of serious neck injury is far greater from flexion than from dorsiflexion. Dorsiflexion is what results from the head's being bent back, i.e. a front hit, while flexion results from the head's being bent forward, i.e. a hit on the back of the head.

I think you're seriously overanalyzing a rule written by coaches who simply don't want runners hurdling defenders.

MD Longhorn Thu Oct 03, 2013 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 906692)

Honestly not understanding why you're continuing to argue this... you're barking up the wrong tree.

JRutledge Thu Oct 03, 2013 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 906701)
I think you're seriously overanalyzing a rule writting by coaches who simply don't want runners hurdling defenders.

Exactly. The rule is for safety, that is clear. Coaches and administrators wrote this rule (a very long time ago and before YouTube) and have made it a POE to emphasize the rule.

And none of us here have much or anything to do with the rule possibly changing.

Peace

Robert Goodman Thu Oct 03, 2013 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 906704)
Honestly not understanding why you're continuing to argue this... you're barking up the wrong tree.

I read statements, I respond to them. Where I read them or who writes them, I don't care.

Bob M. Wed Oct 16, 2013 04:08pm

REPLY: Why is the 'attempt' the foul? I've called two hurdles in my 36 years on the field, coincidentally in two consecutive weeks, and the fouls were almost identical: I was the R. QB rolls to his right, turns the corner and comes face to face with the corner coming up on run support. The corner is slightly broken down--something like you see a catcher do in an old baseball movie where he's more standiong than crouching. The QB attempts to hurdle him and succeeds only in planting his shoe and lower leg into the chest and facemask of the cornerback. That's why the 'attempt' is penalized.