The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Time keeper question

I am a High School official in other sports but not in football. Last night, I was drafted on short notice to run the clock/scoreboard for my son's Jr. High football game (FED rules). Fortunately, the game went well (other than ending in a 6-6 tie) but I felt a little unprepared.
My question is, other than the "start the clock" & "stop the clock" signals, what do you officials expect a good timekeeper to be looking for during a game. How can I best educate myself to do this job properly.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I am a High School official in other sports but not in football. Last night, I was drafted on short notice to run the clock/scoreboard for my son's Jr. High football game (FED rules). Fortunately, the game went well (other than ending in a 6-6 tie) but I felt a little unprepared.
My question is, other than the "start the clock" & "stop the clock" signals, what do you officials expect a good timekeeper to be looking for during a game. How can I best educate myself to do this job properly.
1) Start the clock.
2) Stop making me windmill and start the dang clock.
3) Coaches, we're going with a clock on the field because the idiot in the booth won't start the clock.

Sarcasm aside --- this is what we need you for. It's nice if you have the score right, but not critical. It's nice if you keep the timeouts right so we don't get yelled at, but we keep those on the field and tell coaches when they are out... so that's nice, but also not critical. You want to move the ball to whoever has it... cool --- but extremely uncritical from our POV. You want to put down and distance ... helpful to the fan with bad seats, but we don't care (unless you're wrong and we're getting yelled at because of it)

But "won't start the clock" guy is the most infuriating thing at a junior high game.

PS - please don't operate the play clock.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

- Watch the guy in the white hat, not the play.
- Know the difference between the white hat's ready-for-play signal, and start the clock signal.
- Thanks for stepping up and helping out and wanting to do it right

http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4993

From above:
Game Procedures:
1. The clock operator is an integral member of the officiating crew and game administration. Unfair advantages occur when the game clock is not started or stopped correctly by rule. Great care must be exercised to see that no time lag occurs in starting or stopping the clock.
2. On all free kicks, the nearest game official(s) will signal the legal touching of the ball by indicating that the clock should start.
3. Any game official may signal a time-out; therefore, the operator should be alert to stop the clock.
4. The incompletion signal will stop the clock.
5. The clock operator will automatically stop the clock following a touchdown, field goal, touchback or safety after the appropriate scoring signal has been made.
6. After the clock has been stopped, the referee will start it again on the referee’s start-the-clock signal and if no such signal is given, the operator will start the clock on the snap without the signal from the referee.
7. The referee may start the clock again in certain instances before the ready-for-play signal.
8. The try is not a timed down.
9. There are instances when a period shall be extended by an untimed down. During these extensions, leave the clock at :00. Do not reset the clock for the next period until the referee declares the period over by facing the press box and holding the ball overhead.
10. Each state association may decide whether or not to utilize a running clock in certain situations, and the procedures for those situations.

Last edited by ddn; Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 11:56am.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Martin. In our area, Game Clocks are only run by certified officials, and some of the, "Do/Don't" advise given includes:

If at all possible, meet with the Game Officials during their pre-game. Ask for help with clear signals, especially from off officials (R, U, BJ) on sideline plays.
(Can't explain why, but sideline officials in black pants are not as easy to pick up, as they were with white knickers, especially in front of team box).

Wing official on close sideline are often totally blocked out by team

When field Officials signal "Stop the Clock", ask them to look at the clock and signal UNTIL it stops.

Focus on LJ for 1st down Clock Stoppage.

Understand how R signals Snap, Wind, Ready. Establish how to communicate with R, if adjusting time is necessary. Alternative to fussing with clock, is R retaking control of time temporarily by holding time until he starts it with a wind signal)

Biggest challenge is avoiding distractions, which come in all sizes and shapes.
Best defense is stay focused on the game, some helps are:
* have a backup clock AND RUN IT- keeping clocks in sync draws focus.
* Keep track of down and distance (to yourself)
* Make a note of each Time Out ( 2:20/2nd/B) and Score (2:20/2nd/B/7)
* Keep record of any injured players (time/status/details if observed)

During on-field pre-game period, CHECK the CLOCK, Stop-Start-Reset.

Warm-up after Halftime is MANDATORY, when 2nd team comes on field, reset clock to 3:00, and run it down.

When in doubt, look to the Referee for signals.

[B]Some things to avoid:[/B]

A press box is full of distractions, AVOID them all.
* Don't pay attention to announcers - focus on field officials.
* Ignore "Press Box Guests"
* Don't pay attention to coaches in the booth
* Don't voice opinions, even when asked
* Focus on the field.
* Be polite, but don't allow yourself to get involved or distracted

DO NOT RUN THE SCOREBOARD, OR A 25 SECOND CLOCK- Doing so will inevitably BITE YOU ON THE BUTT (OK to post Scores or TOs, because the clock will be stopped allowing you to do so).

Good luck and thanks for volunteering (Remember: No good deed goes unpunished)
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

About the only basic thing you need to do is start the clock when the ball is snapped and stop the clock when the officials signal to do so. And on free kicks only start the clock when the officials signal as such. Otherwise there is not much more I need you to know from a very basic point of view. The rest comes with experience and understanding of the game.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you gentlemen for your input. This will help me in the future.
I am enough of a student of the game to know when the clock should be started and stopped. What was confusing me in this game was the official was wanting to start the clock early (i.e. after in incomplete pass he was signaling the clock to be started after the ball was spotted, long before the offense broke huddle). I've seen this in blowout games but never in a 6-6 game.
I guess in the future I will walk down and ask in pregame if the referee is using "hurry-up" rules and if so, exactly what he is wanting from me.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 07:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen for your input. This will help me in the future.
I am enough of a student of the game to know when the clock should be started and stopped. What was confusing me in this game was the official was wanting to start the clock early (i.e. after in incomplete pass he was signaling the clock to be started after the ball was spotted, long before the offense broke huddle). I've seen this in blowout games but never in a 6-6 game.
I guess in the future I will walk down and ask in pregame if the referee is using "hurry-up" rules and if so, exactly what he is wanting from me.
I wouldn't. Just follow his signals. It might be a quirk of your Jr. High league. The official could have just been messing up. Either way....
Old Sat Sep 07, 2013, 10:37am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
The ECO is basically a remote "start/stop" switch. By following the R's signals, you've done your job. If there's a screw-up, it's on him.