The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Job Of Ump & Ref

Do you think it is the job of the ump and ref to call not enough players on LOS of offense.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Normally the wings would get this. But I'm not going to let the crew miss it just because the right official doesn't throw the flag.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerrl View Post
Do you think it is the job of the ump and ref to call not enough players on LOS of offense.
Your sentence structure has me confused. So I'll just say - I don't want the R or U making this call.

However, when it's obvious and the wings are sleeping, I have no problem with one of them getting it. Save the crew...
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Your sentence structure has me confused. So I'll just say - I don't want the R or U making this call.

However, when it's obvious and the wings are sleeping, I have no problem with one of them getting it. Save the crew...
It is incumbent upon the R and U to hold their count signal long enough for the wings to pick up that A indeed has 11 players on the field.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post
It is incumbent upon the R and U to hold their count signal long enough for the wings to pick up that A indeed has 11 players on the field.
Not on a good crew. HL and LJ should be able to count 7 regardless of what R and U have. Look at the center, count how many are on the line on your side of the center and signal that to your partner. If the total is 6 (plus the center making 7), you're good. if it's too many, you're still good. Light? You should BOTH have a flag.

I've worked on crews that rely on R's count and then counting the backfield --- they miss far too many of these, and also are not really ready when the play starts more often than not.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know how the U or R has any responsibility for this other then giving the wings a proper count? They do not have the angle to know who is or who is actually not on the line.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know how the U or R has any responsibility for this other then giving the wings a proper count? They do not have the angle to know who is or who is actually not on the line.

Peace
I agree... the only time I want to see my R call this is when working a 3 man crew and someone on the wings is new. And then only if he's SURE he has 11 on the field and SURE he has 5 in the backfield.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've picked up illegal formation fouls on field goal attempts and PATs as the referee. I realize that the wing holding the line should get these, but again, I'm not going to miss this as a crew because a wing misses this.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not on a good crew. HL and LJ should be able to count 7 regardless of what R and U have. Look at the center, count how many are on the line on your side of the center and signal that to your partner. If the total is 6 (plus the center making 7), you're good. if it's too many, you're still good. Light? You should BOTH have a flag.

I've worked on crews that rely on R's count and then counting the backfield --- they miss far too many of these, and also are not really ready when the play starts more often than not.
I have subbed on crews that counted the backs and it was a pain. Sometimes I would think the wideout on the far side was off the line, I threw my flag and after the play the other wing said he had him on.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I have subbed on crews that counted the backs and it was a pain. Sometimes I would think the wideout on the far side was off the line, I threw my flag and after the play the other wing said he had him on.
This is where good cross field communication comes into play. The two wings should have signals that let the other know is the player across is on or off the line. That way these issues do not arise. We were taught and still use the "punch back" if the wideout is off the line, if there are two off on my side, I am punching with two fingers extended to let my partner know.

As for the original post, no way a U or R should be making this call, they have no angle to see if someone is on the line, off the line, or in that no mans land. This is the wings responsibility.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
This is where good cross field communication comes into play. The two wings should have signals that let the other know is the player across is on or off the line. That way these issues do not arise. We were taught and still use the "punch back" if the wideout is off the line, if there are two off on my side, I am punching with two fingers extended to let my partner know.

As for the original post, no way a U or R should be making this call, they have no angle to see if someone is on the line, off the line, or in that no mans land. This is the wings responsibility.
I've worked with crews that punch back or signal on as well. Why. Why would the guy on the other side of me care if the guy closest to me is on or off ... all he should care about from my side is how many. All I care about on his side is how many. 3 + 3 or 4+2 is six, regardless of whether or not the guy closest to me is one of my 2 or 3 or 4.

On/Off works best when R is responsible (perhaps a 3 man crew) since R is counting backs and can't tell if your guy is on or off. But this is truly the weaker way to do it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

For us I think it is easier and more mechanically correct to count the backs. We don't need to know that the offense has 11 as long as there are no more than 4 backs. That said we should still be counting our team's sideline as a wing.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've worked with crews that punch back or signal on as well. Why. Why would the guy on the other side of me care if the guy closest to me is on or off ... all he should care about from my side is how many. All I care about on his side is how many. 3 + 3 or 4+2 is six, regardless of whether or not the guy closest to me is one of my 2 or 3 or 4.

On/Off works best when R is responsible (perhaps a 3 man crew) since R is counting backs and can't tell if your guy is on or off. But this is truly the weaker way to do it.
I feel it is significantly easier to count the number of backs than the number of linemen. Since they are often in a straight line from the wing it can be tricky to count them. 99% of the time the offense has 11 so don't get hung up on the R's signal. If they have 10 or fewer they are going to hold the signal much longer anyway. This is an odd penalty for A anyway since they are at a disadvantage if they have 10 players with 4 backs. I much prefer the NCAA rule for this reason.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post

I agree !!!
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I feel it is significantly easier to count the number of backs than the number of linemen. Since they are often in a straight line from the wing it can be tricky to count them. 99% of the time the offense has 11 so don't get hung up on the R's signal. If they have 10 or fewer they are going to hold the signal much longer anyway. This is an odd penalty for A anyway since they are at a disadvantage if they have 10 players with 4 backs. I much prefer the NCAA rule for this reason.
Me too. I should add this to "stupid rules." It's essentially a rule for playing with 10 players (instead of 11).