The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Non player unsportsmanlike

First half 2 assistant coaches are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 4th quarter 2 other assistants are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. What happens to the head coach at that point in High School Football
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Abolutely nothing, other than his blood pressure going sky high.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

This is not like basketball. We do not indirectly penalize the HC for things people on the bench does other then penalizing the team yards if the yardage is accepted of course.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 11:59am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not like basketball. We do not indirectly penalize the HC for things people on the bench does other then penalizing the team yards if the yardage is accepted of course.
Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and a game official in
the restricted area while the ball is live:

PENALTY: For the first offense, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. For the second offense - 15 yards from the succeeding spot and disqualification of the head coach.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 12:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
First half 2 assistant coaches are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 4th quarter 2 other assistants are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. What happens to the head coach at that point in High School Football
I have a good feeling by the time it gets to that point the head coach will have earned at least one himself.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and a game official in
the restricted area while the ball is live:

PENALTY: For the first offense, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. For the second offense - 15 yards from the succeeding spot and disqualification of the head coach.

OK, and your point is what? This is a very specific rule to cover a very specific situation (and relatively new and only at the NF level). We still do not attribute non-player penalties to head coaches like we do in basketball. For those that do not do basketball, all Ts to bench personnel are attributed to the head coach for their disqualification possibility which is usually categorized into direct and indirect technical fouls. This is not the case in football for unsporting fouls (which are mostly how non-players can be called for a foul) except for this specific rule. And this is also the only rule where a personal foul can result in disqualification based on the number of personal fouls called. Not the typical situation to disqualify a coach.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I believe he is just providing the rule for the one situation where the head coach would be disqualified. And obviously, he's correct. The OP doesn't say why the asst. coaches got the USC flags.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I believe he is just providing the rule for the one situation where the head coach would be disqualified. And obviously, he's correct. The OP doesn't say why the asst. coaches got the USC flags.
He is correct with the very specific rule referenced, but still not like basketball as was my point. And unless I am totally off base, that is not an uncommon question by people that know something about basketball rules. It is a common question I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule. I am usually asked this question once a year to attribute penalties to bench people in football to the HC. And the OPer did not specify he was talking about a PF or an USC foul.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 11:54pm.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 07:03am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule.
I know some FB officials that try to make it a football rule too

In the OP, however, it should be obvious, if this is a real world scenario, that if two assistants were dinged in the 1st half and the HC remained on site then two more in the 2nd half shouldn't matter. Now if that HC commits mass murder on his staff, there may be some employment action coming.

There is the Unintentional contact on the side line provision and of course, the Players Being Legally Equipped provision that is applied to the HC if violated.

Last edited by HLin NC; Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 07:08am.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 07:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He is correct with the very specific rule referenced, but still not like basketball as was my point. And unless I am totally off base, that is not an uncommon question by people that know something about basketball rules. It is a common question I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule. I am usually asked this question once a year to attribute penalties to bench people in football to the HC. And the OPer did not specify he was talking about a PF or an USC foul.

Peace
I know it was my question when I first started football. Not because I was trying to do anything: other than simply understand. It was just my frame of reference, so I wanted to know if the same process applied to football. It's not unlike wondering if two USCs against a player lead to DQ.